Justin Frankel leaves Nullsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Frankel leaves Nullsoft

Justin Frankel, developer of the original Winamp and founder of Nullsoft, is leaving Nullsoft because he can't stand the pressure AOL puts on him anymore.

He developed an open source p2p file sharing client with encryption, which AOL forced him to take down. He went through this before, when he developed Gnutella, and was forced to take it back. He then helped other developers "reverse engineer" the Gnutella network.

So, what do you think des this mean for Winamp? Or will there be a new media player?

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

NNNgnngnnnn....AOL!!!!
    Why cant they leave people alone??

Comment

Oh, maybe I should've included this little unimportant tidbit: Frankel sold Nullsoft to AOL some time ago, but continued as an employee there.

AZ

Comment

dumb****.
        so that means no more winamp?

Comment

Nullsoft still exists, and Winamp continues being developed by the rest of the team. It's just that the founder and creative head is gone..

AZ

Comment

Actually why AOL did buy Nullsoft?
            To have an optional AOL link after a WinAmp installation?

Anyway Winamp isn't that cool, IMO, what's cool are the dozens of free high quality plugins available. So it shouldn't be to difficult to develop a new player which can take advantage of Winamp's plugin framework. Perhaps there is one already.

btw I don't like WA3 it's too bloated, it takes so long to load
            I'm still using the 2.9 branch, I don't need an audio player to watch my videos

Ivan
            <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

winamp3 screws up your registry..

Comment

AOL probably bought nulsoft just to tell MS that "Hey we also got a mediaplayer, we don't need to use yourse"
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

AOL wanted to become a media giant, and everyone was buying everyone else at that time. They also bought Mirabilis (ICQ) and Netscape.

Guchi: Winamp 2.9 is much better than three.

AZ

Comment

Yeah, AOL's acquisition of Winamp was really just that... an acquisition. It wasn't strategically motivated in any way.

I mean, c'mon they OWN Netscape but they're using IE6 in the new AOL. Bleh.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

AOL's recent bigger business decisions were all stupid. The merger with Time Warner, the acquisition of Netscape and Nullsoft... one really starts to wonder how businesses that are run that way can be successful at all.

AZ

Comment

They can't. There's a reason AOL has gone down the crapper.

- Gurm
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

I wonder how they managed to get so big in the first place.

AZ

Comment

I'm convinced that AOL is just a virus. It has screwed up every machine I have ever seen it installed on.
                            --Insert something here--

Comment

Re: Justin Frankel leaves Nullsoft

Originally posted by az

So, what do you think des this mean for Winamp? Or will there be a new media player?

AZ
                              There already is.
                              foobar2000.

btw, created and maintained also by former winamp developer.

Originally posted by drslump

So it shouldn't be to difficult to develop a new player which can take advantage of Winamp's plugin framework. Perhaps there is one already.

btw I don't like WA3 it's too bloated, it takes so long to load
                              I'm still using the 2.9 branch, I don't need an audio player to watch my videos

Ivan
                              Actually, it is difficult apparently. Or at least unpractical/inconvenient/hard. Anyway...foobar developer said that - and he choose not to implement winamp plugins compatibility in his player - and he was afaik developer of main winamp plugins, so I'd rather believe his comments.

drslump, if you don't like audio player to play videos, you'll like foobar - it is perfect in what it does.
                              And does only that.
                              Last edited by Nowhere; 6 June 2003, 18:46.

Comment

Working...
                              X