Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re SCSI data storage

Any advice / thoughts on this subject would be appreciated

I have an opportunity to purchase ( legitimately ) an external drive bay with 6 Fujitsu MAJ3364MP, 10000rpm, 4Mb Buffer UltraWide160 hard drives each 36.4Gb giving a total of 218Gb of storage with an Adaptec 2940 adapter. I would probably get the equipment for somewhere between £250 and £350.

If I were to but them I would consider getting an Adaptec 29160 adapter

I have it to try out just now and have set the drives up as a single striped volume.

I am pretty much a novice when it comes to SCSI and have a basic understanding of the pro's and cons.

What I'm not sure about is the workload this striped set of disks will give my PC ( see specs below ).

As I've got a RTX.100 will the striped setup eat up too many CPU cycles.

Are there any other factors worth considering before I make my decision.

Thanks

Pooh
    ASUS P4S533, P4 2.53Ghz, 1.25Gb PC2700, 40Gb System HD 120Gb AV HD, WinXp Pro

I wouldn't worry too much about overworking that system with this array.

Remember, that SCSI array might have been designed when systems peaked at 1500 MHz processors, 66 MHz system bus, and 256 MB RAM. It might even have been intended for a Mac, when Macs averaged 700-900 MHz.

As long as you have good drivers for the controller card, with no IRQ conflicts, your rig shouldn't even break a sweat with that array. Just hope you have a good power supply!

Controller specs here, for those interested.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
    X