Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aww how cute, Nvidia and Futuremark make up

Kyle reports in.

Translation VIA HardOCP: FutureMark reneges on previous statements and confirms NVIDIA was not cheating on their benchmark and NVIDIA will not take a legal action against FutureMark that would bankrupt them. All about the $, but that is just our opinion. Still this does not change our thoughts on the FutureMark and their benchmark. Editorial coming...

Cool! I think it's a good deal, any dumb**** that would spend hundreds of dollars based on how many frames per seconds a video card runs a really bad pseudobenchmark like 3DMark03 deserves whatever they get. And it's not like they'd know the difference anyway since they'll buy whatever the market tells them they should buy. Consumer cattle are the cornerstone of the economy anymore... what a beautiful thing.
    Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 2 June 2003, 17:39.

Comment

With this statement all videocard manufacturers can tweak their drivers to get a gazillion 3dmarks, because the optimisations aren't 'cheats'

This will invalidate 3dmark within a short period of time. I think nVidia succeeded very well on their business strategy regarding 3dmark. Somehow I can't feel very bad about that because that will mean less/no 3dmark kiddos around any more

Comment

W0000t!
        NOOOOO!
        W4t l00z@r!!!

Now My 3!337 scores just sucks.

NOOO.

What to do in the afternoons...

~~DukeP~~

BTW: Who in here actually played Elite (the orginial) and got the "Elite" rating?
        I played the zx spectrum version.

Comment

Well Futuremark have finally lost the last bit of credability they had, which if everyone stops using it could turn out to be a good thing

If Dell really do make their purchasing decisions based on how well it runs 3DMark then they're even more stupid than I had previously thought.
          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by DukeP
            Who in here actually played Elite (the orginial) and got the "Elite" rating?
            I used to play the original i.e. BBC Micro version, never made it to Elite though
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I made it to Elite on both the original PC version and then also Elite Plus... loved that game
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
                Well Futuremark have finally lost the last bit of credability they had, which if everyone stops using it could turn out to be a good thing
                Yes, Futuremark definitely have lost any credibility (if they ever had such at all).
                But no, it's not a good thing. Not because people stopping using 3DMark (I don't think this will happen, btw), but because this once was another example of "microsoftian" (or creative, if you like) market strategies working.
                Just put a herd of lawyers on a smaller company and you'll win regardless of who is right.
                But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                My System
                2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                German ATI-forum

Comment

It`s a f***ing shame. Not that i care about 3D Mark (never ever used it), but nVidia was so clearly cheating. It was as clear as a 20 meter tall sign that said "We are cheating. Sincerely, nVidia". And they got away with it. Christ.
                  Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Edit: was === is.
                    Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Got up to Elite rating on Elite Plus on the Amiga. Rear firing lasers were pretty nifty, and nothing beat using the retro rocket and blasting at high speed to a station instead of the local jump drive thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                        ...Just put a herd of lawyers on a smaller company and you'll win...
                        Looks more like a herd of accountants were involved in this case

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
                          If Dell really do make their purchasing decisions based on how well it runs 3DMark then they're even more stupid than I had previously thought.
                          Dell is a mega corp, and they invest (invest?) in many things "just in case". Pretty much like Boeing who sponsor many researchers, even though some researchs are very ridiculous.
                          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

This raises the question on how we can now "bench" all these new features that video card manufs are bringing out. There is certainly no games to run them. I wonder how this will change things.....probably just another crappy benchmark will replace it (or for that matter a few of them).

Funny thing is, nVidia (and Kyle) was never so outspoken against 3DMark when the numbers were in nVidia's favor. And then when things tip to the other side...

Regardless, Futuremark has lost all credibility with many people, and I am glad of this. But now what??
                            System Specs:
                            Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
                            May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
                            Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
                            And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
                            just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
                            For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

The saga continues http://tech-report.com/etc/2003q2/3dmurk03/index.x?pg=1
                              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                              X