Cheap Laptop???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Laptop???

I have been offered a HP OmniBoox Xe4500 for £650.

I dont know much about laptops, but is this a good deal???
    What do you think of the model?

I wasn't considering purchasing one just yet, but if the price is right.... The laptop is an ex business model from my sisters company.

I will be using it for areas that my PDA are is not suitable for such as typing/editing large documents when not at home.
    Watching the odd DVD or DivX movies, protable MP3 storage for in the car etc...
    It seems to have a modem/NIC/firewire inbuilt..

I would like to be able to play some games, perhaps not UT2003 but more like comand and conquer 2.

How upgradable are laptops these days? Am i limited to changing only the HD and RAM?
    Oh, and the battery life is 3.5hours????? is that normal?

Perhaps i should wait and buy something more suitable....
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Looks like a really good deal to me.

DVD/DivX/MP3/Gaming all good. By googling I found it has a mobility radeon (M6 32M) you could probably get away with a little UT2k3.

You are pretty much limited to HD and RAM upgrades, yes.

Comment

Quite an ugly laptop though...
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
        Quite an ugly laptop though...
        just keep your eyes on the screen then!

Comment

Cheers!

Comment

the 3.5 hours do not sound that realistic.

mfg
            wulfman
            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
            "Lobsters?"
            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

3.5 hours, that sounds good, or were you being disbelieving?

Dave
              Don't make me angry...

Comment

I am not sure.... I would like to be able to watch a whole DVD without the laptop dying.

Can you buy laptop HDs still?

Comment

Of course you can buy laptop HD's. In all different sizes and speeds.

As for 3.5 hours - I'll believe it when I see it. Odds on you'll get through a SINGLE DVD. That's about standard. Not Lord of the Rings, either - more like 2 hours with the DVD drive, audio, and video all cranking.

But you can get extended life batteries, and often you can either hotswap or slap the other battery in the floppy bay or something.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by dave m
                    3.5 hours, that sounds good, or were you being disbelieving?

Dave
                    I'm (like gurm) disbelieving. 3.5 hours were until some time ago a great archiement... and those mobile p4s are for sure no energy-savers.

mfg
                    wulfman
                    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                    "Lobsters?"
                    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

OK... so no negative comments... perhaps i should pop over (45min drive) and have a look at this...

Comment

Working...
                      X