Some People never listen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some People never listen.

AOL is the biggest load of crap around. Crappy software useless gimmicks and can destroy your tcp on your OS.
    One of mine sisters used AOL modem dialup and against my advice decided to use the broadband software. Why spend £19.00 a month when you can spend £30.00. The broadband version comes with AOL 7 which they installed over version 8. Not surprising it's got a bit muddled. The favorites have gone missing she was trying to re-install version 8 from the recycle bin. I told her not too.
    The other problem is the connect keeps disconnecting. Now they've gone phone connections all over the house. I think I'm right by saying they need a micro filter in each socket with a phone aren't I? The other problem the socket there on maybe on an extension.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Yes. With DSL you need a filter on each other line in the house which has a phone connected to the same number.
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
      Yes. With DSL you need a filter on each other line in the house which has a phone connected to the same number.
      In sweden we dont

A microfilter on the "first" jack in the house will make all the others "filtered"

Ofcourse mostly the phone lines in houses are "hotwired" "hacked" or otherwise "non standard compliance" so in those situations you would need multiple filters, but thats the exceptioms
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I have never even heard of such a thing, we don't need those here

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Maybe that is the case with the slow european DSL, here we have 1 - 3 Mbps ( OK so the european speed is slowly improving )

At work we have 1.5Mb DSL and if the filter is not on we can hear hissing in the phones from the DSL connection, so maybe it is just to prevent people from hearing the DSL line instead of them making sure you have a good connection.

Comment

Slow DSL speed here is only because of the market situation - Telekom owns over 90% of phone/DSL lines. 1.5 mbps is the fastest you'll get a flatrate for here.

German phone lines are actually better than yours

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

az, I think the microfilter is called "splitter" here, no?

mfg
              wulfman
              "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
              "Lobsters?"
              "Really? I didn't know they did that."
              "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

The other problem they've got is that the modem is on an extension and not the master socket.
                The favourites are stored online under version eight which is the dumbest thing I heard.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Maybe that is the case with the slow european DSL, here we have 1 - 3 Mbps ( OK so the european speed is slowly improving )

At work we have 1.5Mb DSL and if the filter is not on we can hear hissing in the phones from the DSL connection, so maybe it is just to prevent people from hearing the DSL line instead of them making sure you have a good connection.
                  Speak for yourself. Everybody gets 3.36Mbps in Belgium, starting at 35€/month

Comment

You should think yourselves lucky with any speed of ADSL - I 'live in the sticks' in England and with a dinosaur phone company like British Telecom we're unlikely to get it for several years, if ever.

I survive on 56k modem that will only pull 44k.

Taliska
                    Gigabyte GA-8KNXP, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 1Gbyte DDR400 RAM
                    Matrox P750, Matrox RT.X10
                    2x Maxtor 120G & 1x 300G SATA drives, Panasonic DVD-RAM drive
                    Windows XP Pro, Premiere Pro 7.0

Comment

As above, but 36-38k.
                      Meet Jasmine.
                      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman
                        az, I think the microfilter is called "splitter" here, no?
                        I think it is like that, Wulfy.

TP, How many PCs through out the house need this wonderful AOL BB? Isn't it more difficult to have one server somewhere with the BB to the wall, and the rest on a normal LAN, or WiFi?

Or else you'll need the splitter/micro filter for every wall plug yes. A bit OTT imho. Then again, who am I?
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Originally posted by az
                          Slow DSL speed here is only because of the market situation - Telekom owns over 90% of phone/DSL lines. 1.5 mbps is the fastest you'll get a flatrate for here.

German phone lines are actually better than yours

AZ
                          I can easily believe that the lines are better in Germany, but we had the technology( DSL/Cable) here first
                          I worked in what I think has to be one of the very first publically available test sites for cable modems back in november 1995, DSL rolled out not too long after that.

So where is the fastest Internet available for home users now?

It seems that belgium with their 3.36Mbit is in the lead now ( probably super expensive though)

Comment

Well.. Here in Norway you can get 10Mbit in the largest cities. Some places you get 12.5Mbit/6.25Mbit (Just started up. Was actually 10Mbit, but the biggest norwegian telecom company Telenor didn't let them deliver 10Mbit for some stupid reason.)

Comment

Exactly the Microfilter/splitter makes sure that the ADSL frequency never reaches the phone

BUT

in a house with a properly drawn phone net it will only be neseccary with a microfilter/splitter in the first jack
                              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                              X