Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Matrox Store is Sold out of Parhelias....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Matrox Store is Sold out of Parhelias....

Well the Canadian one at least.... makes me wonder if that means the inventories for the Parhelia are finally nearing an end. If that is true, that could mean the emergence of a AGP 8x Parhelia with Banding fixed... or even Pitou? One can dream huh?
    The poster formerly known as "ahardjan"

Yes you can dream Don't count on Matrox to make Pitou until 2 years later

BTW I have a feeling that this thread is gonna be on Pitou...

so crystal ball maybe?

Comment

The P650/P670 are what the Parhelia should have been, modern high quality (signal-wise) and feature-full (multi-monitor support, dual-DVIs, Gigacolor, Glyph AA, …) generic desktop products at a reasonable price (which the Parhelia isn’t) – with TripleHead for the P750.

Parhelia’s costly 3D aspects are sub par compared to nVidia’s and ATi’s in the gaming and part of the pro area. 3Dlabs’ OpenGL ICD are the references as far as exactitude/precision goes. FAA-16x is at first sight a clever idea, but it has to many fundamental and conceptual problems to be a viable solution compared to the traditional FSAA that will offer higher all-round quality (no obvious misses, no artifacts, no bugs, no tweaking required) provided enough brute strength is available. In the end I don’t see why somebody forking for a P-Series wouldn’t buy a gaming part for example. I’m getting a 9800 Pro for that.

Aside the banding problem, which my Parhelia seems to be free from, I like the P-Series but it would be even better with *triple* 2048 x 1536 symmetric heads, trouble-less operation and identical Windows and Xfree86 drivers.

In the end the P650 will probably be IMO the popular one. Silent, cheaper and full dual-head features; Triple-head for me is kind of crippled at this point.

Comment

IF the P inventory has dried, a new revision might see the light not too far off. P is still their high-end part, so I don't suppose they'll kill the part or make more buggy chips.

Comment

Yep... If Parhelia stocks are sold out, I bet we'll see a new revision...
          Although, I doubt P stocks are sold out...

Comment

I don't know how many Parhelia GPU chips they made in the first place, but if P650/750 (Sundog) is just a normal Parhelia chip with feautures disabled, then they have perhaps used up some chips on these cards!

Hope we'll se some cards on the new Parhelia revison..... Does anybody know what's been fixed?

Comment

They probably are just waiting for the next build of boards. Might be trying to keep inventories of assembled boards low. I'd be surprised if there is a change in the chip.

Comment

I would be with Rylan on this

The manufacture of a GPU would benefit from economies of scale

the manufacture of the boards are under big M's control (and therefore a lower stock level) , and as such they probably still have a shed full of P I GPU's, but a dearth of basic boards....

hopefully their medical imaging stuff and has taken off a bit - that might eat in a bit into their inventory... but with the quantities that that market would consume, I would be surprised.....

RedRed
                Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Working...
                X