Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flicker with 8mm playback in Sony D8 camcorder

Flicker with 8mm in Sony D8 camcorder.

Just recordered first DVD with Panasonic DVD Burner II from a Sony Digital 8 camera playing an old 8mm tape. It seems when ever I play an anlaog tape in the D8 camcorder there is flicker/strobe effect. Any one else had this or know a work around? I remember when I used (I think it was)Tmpeg to make a SVCD ther ewas a reduce flicker box. I'm using DVDMF2 now though.

If you're editing the footage reverse the field order and try again.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Actually I just captured it via firewire with DVDMF2. I think the analog tapes cause a flickering effect on the Sony D8 even when watching them straight thru the TV.

Comment

Never seen that problem

I think the analog tapes cause a flickering effect on the Sony D8 even when watching them straight thru the TV.
        You've got something amiss with your setup if this is what you're experiencing.

Comment

Re: Never seen that problem

Originally posted by Patrick
          You've got something amiss with your setup if this is what you're experiencing.
          It plays D8 tapes fine. The flicker is subtle, like what you might see watching a film projector.

Comment

Nope, never seen that problem

You don't list your location so I don't know what part of the world you're from, but NTSC versions of D8 camcorders do not show the effect you're describing when playing back analog tapes. I belong to a video production club, and over the years I've seen many, many D8 camcorders playing back old analog tapes with no problems whatsoever.

Maybe you're in PAL territory and possibly there's a subtle difference from NTSC D8 camcorders, but I've never heard or read of the symptoms you're describing in all the years that D8 has been around.

Something just occurred to me - You don’t have one of the camcorder’s special effects turned on during playback, do you? Like maybe the strobe effect? That would be too funny!
            Last edited by Patrick; 3 June 2003, 23:45.

Comment

Maybe you're in PAL territory and possibly there's a subtle difference from NTSC D8 camcorders
              Nope. 8mm analog tapes play OK in D8 camcorders in PAL-land too.

Comment

Sorry, I'm U.S. NTSC oh well I was hoping it might be a setting I could adjust (not an obvious one like a "strobe effect"it is MUCH more subtle than that).

Comment

Working...
                X