Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with Sound Level Meters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience with Sound Level Meters?

I'm trying to put together an instrumentation profile for the hospital regarding the purchase of a new sound level meter. The companies that I've had dealings with so far were of course B&K and then secondarily Quest/Metrosonics and Ivie. B&K is the industry standard as far as I know and by far the most expensive.

Quest is what the hospital has been using for about 10 years and seem to make quite reliable equipment. Specifically the Q1900 and the Q 2900 models.

Ivie is a company recommended to me by Mike (Greebe) which HE has had dealings with, but which I know hardly anything about.

Has anyone here used any of these companies before - either for SLM's or other products - and if so, how have your experiences been. I have all the tech. data on the models, I'm more interested in things like how the equipment holds up and how customer service responds if anyone has any experience.

Thanks.
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

I've got a Radio Shack digital SPL meter, does that count?

Comment

Maybe I should clarify. It's for a hospital's audiology department, not for me.
      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Go with the Quest. I could make suggestions, but they would not be geared toward the same applications. We have a Radio Shack analog meter (with the little needle) which cost about $30.00 and an Audio Control SPL box that cost about $1200.00 which measures levels at different frequencies. I don't have any idea whether or not you could take something designed for car audio soundoffs and use it in a hospital audiology lab, and experimenting unnecessarily if there is a reliable company that makes what you need for that specific application wouldn't make any sense.

Comment

I'd go for the Bruel & Kjaer. Yes it costs more, but it is correctly calibrated for the different curves. I believe it uses a condenser mike, which is far superior to the electret mikes used in cheaper stuff, and holds its calibration longer.

The difference in cost should be related to the turnover of the hospital. 0.0001% or less?
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
          X