Car modding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car modding?

Any resources for newbie car modding please?
    I don't even know how to install an amp.

Please provide links as I'm buying a car next month!

Thanks!!
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

The Install Doctor: http://www.installdr.com/

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Re: Car modding?

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
      Any resources for newbie car modding please?
      I don't even know how to install an amp.

Please provide links as I'm buying a car next month!

Thanks!!
      How's putting an amp in the car going to make it quicker???

I'm sure there are plenty of ppl here that can help.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Thought you wanted audio mods since you mentioned an "amp", which I took to mean a better stereo system, but I guess you've been watching "The Fast & the Furious". OK then, some advice first;

1. take both a basic and intermediate mechanics course at a community college before wasting any money on parts. Even if you don't plan on doing much work yourself it might save you from being ripped off by a shop.

2. while doing that subscribe to magazines dedicated to rodding the brand you buy. Most good book stores have more than an adequate selection.

3. Before modding anything that produces horsepower get the engine block & heads ready; as in magna-fluxing for defects, getting the block, heads, exhaust ports & valve train worked on by someone who knows what the f**k they're doing and by all means consider a stronger & better timed crank, cams and oil delivery system.

Without these all the new horsepower from other mods will do is smash your engine to dust.

4. don't forget putting heavier parts in the tranny/transaxle and getting a high-performance shift mechanism.

5. build the corners; concentrating on stronger parts, poly bushings, wheels & tires, better brake proportioning valves, racing disks & calipers, higher quality suspension parts (including shocks & springs) and high performance wheel bearings.

Making it fast is suicide unless you can keep it on the road & can stop it after the fun's over. Road gear is useless at speed.

6. cooling system for both tranny and engine. We're talking bigger radiator, performance water pump, electric fans (higher capacity ones if the car already has 'em) and a huge tranny cooler....the bigger the better.

7. A larger alternator, battery and stronger electrical harness to drive all the toys is also in order.

8. NOW you're ready to add modded computer chips, superchargers, modded intake & exhaust pipes, injectors, N2O injectors, a high capacity fuel pump & filters, high performance ignition parts etc. etc.

9. SAFETY!! Heavy duty harnesses, a performance seat (Recaro!!) & mounts, a roll bar etc. etc. are a real good idea if you plan on using these mods. Trust me

Performance tips are often brand-specific, so knowing what you are going to get would make that part simpler.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 May 2003, 22:04.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Car modding?!
          May i ask what type of car, model bla bla, and what do you want to modify?!

Comment

Mebbe he thinks it's as easy as building his 'puter. Nope.

Doing it right nullifies the cars warranty and costs 2-4 times as much as the car did to start with

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys

I mentioned "modding" and "amp", but I wasn't being too specific.
              In fact, what I would like to know is the car internal.
              I do not even know some common knowledge such as how to take the dash cover off? How much voltage and current does the "cigar lighter" provide? (12V DC is it?) Or... how do I change a tire? (don't laugh please).

I am not going to do sophisticated modding in the near future, because I know the risk, the cost, and my skill level.

The reason I said "amp" is because I suppose installing an amp is a easy task to most car owners... but not me.

Many thanks

EDIT: and I know it is not easy as building a PC
              P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
              Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Taking a dash apart isn't common knowledge; it's usually a pain in the ass on most cars and varies model to model

Cigarette lighters use 12 volts at about 15-20 amps, which makes its circuit a nice power source if you don't smoke or use the lighter for accessories like a phone charger.

For most car newbies at this it's better to learn enough about mechanics to not get ripped off and let the experts handle the hardware.

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 May 2003, 22:02.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

For the basic stuff like routine maintenance buy a Haynes manual for the car you're interested in. They base each one on a complete strip down of the model in question (which doesn't mean you can guarantee the one you're pulling apart is exactly the same as their prototype) :-)

Dave
                  Don't make me angry...

Comment

Ah the good old Haynes manual. Cut the brown wire to disconnect the horn snip. Press the Horn beep. Reconnect the brown cable and start properly tracing the horn cable. In the end it turned out to be a brown and white cable. One of the funs of putting a car alarm in.
                    The haynes manual is good place to start but don't take it as gospel.
                    As more modding I wouldn't call turning it into a mobile disco modding. I'd call being annoying.
                    Now modding is changing your suspension upgrading your carb's, chipping, having your cam changed putting in stronger valve springs, rocker shafts, changing your exhaust. Putting the body kit on if you want to announce it to the world but less fun.
                    Nothing more amusing when the bloke behind in his 2.8 is wondering why he can't keep up with a old bog standard looking XR2 down the country lanes.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

hmm, could it be that WyWyWyWy is showing the first signs of becoming a ricer!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                        Thought you wanted audio mods since you mentioned an "amp", which I took to mean a better stereo system, but I guess you've been watching "The Fast & the Furious". OK then, some advice first;

1. take both a basic and intermediate mechanics course at a community college before wasting any money on parts. Even if you don't plan on doing much work yourself it might save you from being ripped off by a shop.
                        Not a bad requirement, but if you subscribe to some car forums and read some books, you'll learn plenty.

3. Before modding anything that produces horsepower get the engine block & heads ready; as in magna-fluxing for defects, getting the block, heads, exhaust ports & valve train worked on by someone who knows what the f**k they're doing and by all means consider a stronger & better timed crank, cams and oil delivery system.
                        Are you kidding me? I mean, I can understand if you're looking for 1,000hp, but almost no one goes to the extremes that you're listing. They'd be great to do, but there'd be a lot of $ and downtime involved. Many cars can almost double HP on stock internals.

Without these all the new horsepower from other mods will do is smash your engine to dust.
                        Wrong. If you mod the car and manage the mods correctly, you'll be fine.

4. don't forget putting heavier parts in the tranny/transaxle and getting a high-performance shift mechanism.
                        Again, that all depends on how far he's pushing the car. For a moderate gain, it's not necessary. If you're going for a big power gain, then yeah, beef up the tranny/transaxle. I hope by "heavier" you're referring to strength, not weight.

5. build the corners; concentrating on stronger parts, poly bushings, wheels & tires, better brake proportioning valves, racing disks & calipers, higher quality suspension parts (including shocks & springs) and high performance wheel bearings.
                        Christ, the guy wants to do a few mods to his car, not be a road race champion! Although I can't disagree with what you listed if he DID want to road race...

6. cooling system for both tranny and engine. We're talking bigger radiator, performance water pump, electric fans (higher capacity ones if the car already has 'em) and a huge tranny cooler....the bigger the better.

Or you could buy a manual tranny...which you should if you're into performance.

Cooling system is something you only have to upgrade if you're REALLY putting down sick power.

8. NOW you're ready to add modded computer chips, superchargers, modded intake & exhaust pipes, injectors, N2O injectors, a high capacity fuel pump & filters, high performance ignition parts etc. etc.
                        LOL, after all the extreme tuning you listed above, you're gonna settle for "computer chips"? Why not full engine management? And I'd do my exhaust and intake LONG before i blueprinted and balanced the engine.
                        [B][QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                          The reason I said "amp" is because I suppose installing an amp is a easy task to most car owners... but not me.
                          Hell, I've never installed an amp, but I can rebuild an engine and turbo a car.

Comment

Bah, just slap some nitro on it and forget about the rest!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                              Bah, just slap some nitro on it and forget about the rest!

BWAHAHAHHA, what a nuts story.

Comment

Working...
                              X