Question about G400 TV-out cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about G400 TV-out cable

I thought the TV-out cable for a G400 is different to and incompatible with a TV-out cable for a G450/550.. is that true?

I ask because someone is selling a Matrox TV-out cable on eBay which he says works with all three cards. Is that possible?
    Intel Celeron 1.0A @ 1.4GHz
    Crucial 384MB PC133
    Matrox G400Max
    JLMS LTD-165H 16x DVD
    Cyberdrive 36x12x48
    Seagate Barracuda IV 20GB
    Soundblaster Live! 5.1

G450 and G550 use the same breakout cable.
    G400 is different, and NOT interchangable.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

That's exactly what I thought.. I emailed the seller and he insists differently though.

Anyway I just bought a used G400Max and needed a TV-out cable but I've ordered a new one from Matrox for £15 - the same as the card cost in other words!
      Crucial 384MB PC133
      Matrox G400Max
      JLMS LTD-165H 16x DVD
      Cyberdrive 36x12x48
      Soundblaster Live! 5.1

Comment

make a cable yourself...

pinout for s-video/composite output:

or if you want superior quality image on the tv, use the pinout for SCART-RGB output (provided that your tv supports RGB input over SCART), in combination with the previous pinout scheme:

Comment

The seller is mistaken.
          If they where the same, there would be no reason to list two different cables for the cards.

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
            make a cable yourself...

pinout for s-video/composite output:

or if you want superior quality image on the tv, use the pinout for SCART-RGB output (provided that your tv supports RGB input over SCART), in combination with the previous pinout scheme:

http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/faq/details.cfm?id=5
            I'll see what quality the standard cable gives first, but that's a possibility I am going from a Geforce2 MX with BT869 (reasonable quality when using TVTool) so I am hoping to see an improvement in TV-out quality - the main use is DVD playback.
            Crucial 384MB PC133
            Matrox G400Max
            JLMS LTD-165H 16x DVD
            Cyberdrive 36x12x48
            Soundblaster Live! 5.1

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
              I'll see what quality the standard cable gives first, but that's a possibility I am going from a Geforce2 MX with BT869 (reasonable quality when using TVTool) so I am hoping to see an improvement in TV-out quality - the main use is DVD playback.
              that's like saying you hope to see an improvement in car performance when going from a Trabant to a Porsche 911 Turbo.

Comment

Okay I've received the breakout cable and got TV-out working with a composite cable, and the picture quality is great

But.. apparently you get better quality if you use the 7-pin s-video socket, is that right?

I have only got a 4-pin to 4-pin s-video cable sadly, which 'works' in that it gives me a picture, but the quality is very bad. The cable goes into a 4-pin s-video socket on my TV (via a scart socket). There is no 7-pin input.

Would I get a better picture by using the 7-pin s-video instead of composite output?

If so, how would I go about it.. ie. get a 7-pin to 4-pin cable? Or 7-pin to 4-pin converter? Or.. what

Any help appreciated! Or I could just leave it as it is.. the picture is excellent.. but I always like things like this to be as good as they can possibly be, which is why I bought this card in the first place
                Crucial 384MB PC133
                Matrox G400Max
                JLMS LTD-165H 16x DVD
                Cyberdrive 36x12x48
                Soundblaster Live! 5.1

Comment

Ah I've worked out how to get a good picture with my existing 4-pin s-video cable.. I set my TV to YC input and it gives a good picture - can't tell any difference between it and the composite picture though but still
                  Crucial 384MB PC133
                  Matrox G400Max
                  JLMS LTD-165H 16x DVD
                  Cyberdrive 36x12x48
                  Soundblaster Live! 5.1

Comment

you can't? on my tv it's night and day difference. With composite it looks like a 'blur filter' has been enabled on the tv.

SCART-RGB is even better though than S-video.

Comment

I think it is better but as I say, I got an excellent picture with the composite cable too. It is possibly a bit sharper now; it's pretty exquisite anyway - great colours, sharpness, contrast.. much better than the GF2 MX! Gotta be on a par with a good standalone player I'd say.
                      Crucial 384MB PC133
                      Matrox G400Max
                      JLMS LTD-165H 16x DVD
                      Cyberdrive 36x12x48
                      Soundblaster Live! 5.1

Comment

Working...
                      X