Making SVCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making SVCD

I was hoping to make my first SVCD to play on my Wharfedale DVD player but from reading various posts I discovered I need a program called I-Author to do it.

This software seems rather expensive at $1000. Does anybody know of any cheaper software that can produce SVCD's? I don't need any fancy menus or anything. I just want to be able to put a single MPEG file onto a CD using the SVCD standard (approx. twice the bitrate of MPEG-1 I believe).

I heard that NERO can produce SVCD's but they don't work !!!

Does anybody know if its possible to take an SVCD iso image (there are some examples on the web) and replace the video file with my own. I know its not straight-forward with header info etc. but surely it can't be impossible (I'm a professional software developer).

I've also heard there's a demo available of some Philips software that can author SVCD's. Does anybody know what the limitations of the demo are?

Thanks.

I-Author Deluxe is available 'freely'(illegally) from a great number of 'enthusiast' video web sites. Have a look at the Flexion forums you will probably find a link to it there - that is if you don't mind using this 'type' of software.

You could also peruse www.vcdhelper.com

I would leave the Philips software alone - I've heard it's a nightmare to work with. And to actually create a working SVCD you need to register it for around $1000. If you'rr still interested you could check out http://www.licensing.philips.com/

[This message has been edited by RoGuE (edited 06 October 2000).]

Comment

FLAME ON:

Right about here is where I'd complain about encouraging the use of warez. Guess what? I'm not going to. Not even close.

IMHO if any company deserves for their software to be warez it's Enreach. Their predatory pricing of I-Author is so extreme I'm tempted to say;

"Go ahead. Warez the $^*&#@$ hell out of the S.O.B."

FLAME OFF

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 07 October 2000).]

Comment

And then a superior product for FREE arrives (TMPGEnc) and their sales go into the tank

The next thing you know Ligos is scrambling to fix their kernel, but IMHO the damage is done. Now that the word on TMPGEnc is out....

If Mr. Hori were smart he'd come out with reasonably priced Premiere and MSPro plugins and really drive 'em nuts.

Dr. Modrdid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 07 October 2000).]

Comment

TMPGEnc is certainly good value for money

Comment

I agree entirely. I do not in any way support 'Warez'. But the reason software such as I-Author is commonly pirated is that it is stupidly expensive.

Ligos LSX MPEG is another example - back when I bought the software (v2.5) it was very reasonbly priced, yet when they released V3 (which isn't massively better than 2.5) the price was hiked by 100%. Then suprise, suprise, a million-and-one links to illegal copies of it appear on the web.

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks guys.

I'll let you know how I get on.
              Will probably be back soon for more help

Comment

Working...
              X