What is the best FREE CD ripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best FREE CD ripper?

I never rip CDs but I want to start. What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

CDex should do the trick.

or EAC (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de).

mfg
    wulfman
    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
    "Lobsters?"
    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

I'm with Wulfman: CDex is an excellent place to start. Get it here;

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks guys. I downloaded it, tried it out, loved it! It makes things so painless and puts on the music in the exact folders I would anyway.

Thanks again.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

EAC is the ultimate !
          System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

If you want quality, EAC is the only way to go.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

EAC = Best quality. Hands-down.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

If you fiddle with the settings in CDex you can get it almost up to the same quality as EAC. Personally I prefer CDex cause it has true built in support for OGG Vorbis (ie. can write the tags). EAC can only encode to OGG if you use the command line version of the OGG encoder and can you can't export tags to the files that way.

Also, as I take very good care of my CD's so that they don't get scratched I've never had a single problem with the ripping quality of CDex.

Just my .03 cents.
                Ian
                Primary System:
                MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                Seccondary System:
                Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                Tertiary system
                Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

EAC roxx for quality.
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Ok, I have one question for everybody: if an audio CD contain binary datas, and the CD rippers simply read the binary stream from the CD, how can a program have a quality better than another? He wash and clean the bit while reading? O_o
                    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Well first it's not binary entirely as jitter may cause errors and better software reads multiple times to get exact output.

generally audio CD lacks ECC code compared to data CD.

Check readme at cdrlabs.com or cdrinfo.com

Comment

Drizzt, basically it comes down to error checking of the data stream. Most rippers only do a single pass and assume that whatever they pull is correct. They will only error check if something is obviously wrong. EAC by default (iirc), runs a default of like 5 passes for each bit of data. If it doesn't come up with a 1 or a 0 every time then it runs does 32 (default, this is configureable) passes to attempt to verify what that bit is supposed to be. So, for example, if in 5 reads it gets 3 1's and 2 0's then it will read it 32 more times. Suppose now it gets 24 1's and only 8 0's. It is fairly safe to assume from that ratio that the actual data bit is a 1. Compare to another program that only does a single pass, if it gets an error and reads a zero the first time round, well, it's going to record it as a zero even though it is actually a one.

So, EAC is reputed to be the highest quality ripper because it has the best error correction algorithm to date for verifying that what you are recording to your wave is what is actually on the CD.

Hope that answers the question. Take a look at EAC's home page for a better description of how exactly it works.

Ian
                        Primary System:
                        MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                        120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                        Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                        Seccondary System:
                        Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                        3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                        Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                        Tertiary system
                        Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                        Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Essentially, you can have the drive do one of two different things if it has a problem reading part of the CD. Option one is to interpolate, which is what many CD players will do. Option two has the drive have another go at reading that section of the disc. In general; option 2 is innapropriate for real time playback, because you don't have enough time to do multiple re reads.
                          MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Option two WOULD be appropriate for real-time playback, if CD audio drives would spin at more than 1x. This introduces jitter and general error problems though, so it isn't done, except in mobile players

AZ
                            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Actually, the simplest (and therefore often used mehtod) is that CD is read for enough data to fill buffer, CD not read; buffer empties to a certain point, CD is read again until buffer is full and so on. Mostly spin speed is about 2x.
                              MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Working...
                              X