Sim City 4 Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sim City 4 Problems

Argg...I know this game is buggy as hell, but I had no idea it was this bad. Was wondering if this was a common problem with the game. Whenever I play it, I seem to be able to build stuff, etc, but when I have it go into play mode or fast forward mode, it will boot to desktop. No error or anything, it just quits. Sometimes I can play for 15 minutes. Sometimes it won't even load a region. I can't figure out the problem though. I do overclock, but even with everything at default it boots to desktop. With Cat 3.2s I will get a system reboot (not even a BSOD, just reboots the system). I can play other games, like Battlefield 1942 or Morrowind for hours without problems. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing these kinds of problems with Sim City 4. My system specs are in my sig.
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

hmm, well, I have a 9700 Pro and nothing else you have or even remotely close LOL! I have no such problems with the game. Did you patch it yet. If not, do yourself a favor and patch it because the game is useless without the patch in more ways than one. The patch also cures the exact problem you describe.

BTW - How do you like your sound card? Drviers as bad as people say they are?

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Ok, well I have applied the patch, but at the same time I have a...well, let's say burned copy. Might be that.

As far as my audio drivers go, no I don't have any problems with any of the games I play. What issues are people having?? I did have some problems with Foobar and playing 24-bit files, but that was resolved with the latest driver release. That's the only problem I've had.
      System Specs:
      Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

Yeah, that used to happen to my friend...but that patch should work fine.

Comment

Err, on EA's site it is saying that after applying the patch, I should have some files with a 2003 stamp. Two of those files, sound.dat and dbghelp.dll, still have a 2002 stamp. Can anyone check to see if their's have a 2003 stamp? I don't think it's a sound issue as I played the game with the sound disabled and it did the same thing, but I want to make sure the game is actually updated as should be.
          System Specs:

Comment

Well, nevermind. I reinstalled the game and reapplied the patch, but this time I used EAs auto patch system, and also manually updated the game. Those two files still have 2002 dates, but the game doesn't crash now. Bah, a screwed up EA thing I guess. Oh well, seems to work fine now.
            System Specs:

Comment

Working...
            X