Good cost effective server board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good cost effective server board?

Looking for a good, STABLE server board for a windows file server. Doesn't have to be CHEAP, but cost effective would be nice. Preferably an AMD based board. Could have intergrated video and sound, but it has to have at least 3 PCI slots and be some form of ATX. Any ideas?

You can go for one of MSI's or Gigabyte's MPX boards...
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Wait...you said it didn't have to be cheap....

....Dual Opteron 244 baby!!!!
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Hehe, ok, it has to be a SINGLE CPU board...COST MINDED, but not "cheap" persey...

Comment

Why single CPU? Dual CPU would be MUCH more cost-effective, and there are EXCELLENT dual-athlon solutions with AMD 762 chipsets out there.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

@ Gurm: You're kidding, right? This is a file server...

Comment

Yeah, if it's just moving data, and not being a DB server, then single-CPU would probably be better. I'd probably go with a SiS based board, since stability and PCI bandwidth are probably going to be the most important elements of the system. SiS or Intel, I probably wouldn't consider boards based on other chipsets.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

For file server, I'd get old BX up and running.

Otherwise: I second SiS. You may also check original nForce but it has it's glitches.

Except for MPX there was IIRC only one AMD southbridge MoBo. The others (like Abit KG7), have VIA southbridge where all hell lays.

Consider ECS K7S5A and some SDRAM you have laying arround. In file server network and HDDs will play much bigger role than HDD Bandwidth.

Another would be Tyan TigerMP - It's two CPU, but cheap and a bit dated (it maxes at 1900+). In the range of brand new decent single CPU Motherboards. But it's a quality motherboard, although picky.

This may sound blasphemic, but I'd check 815 based PIII motherboard and Tualatin Celeron as well.
                Last edited by UtwigMU; 27 May 2003, 16:07.

Comment

For a file server, an Intel board with gigabit lan connected through csa might be good...

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

IIRC Tyans are the pros for pro mobos Their build quality should be unbeatable (Never used them though)

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                      IIRC Tyans are the pros for pro mobos Their build quality should be unbeatable (Never used them though)
                      I have. They are excellent in my experience, but I haven't bought a new one for 3 years, so I don't know their current quality. Their BX/GX boards were a dream for stability freaks.

Comment

How about a pair of HP Proliant DL380 rackmount boxes with a Smart Array Cluster Storage chassis? Oh, sorry, that's intel based... no good

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Sorry, I was thinking that you had an actual budget...

- Gurm
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

Tyan makes wonderful Intel Boards (You will pry my Tyan Thunderbolt GX from my Cold Dead Hands)...their AMD boards can be a little weird - their 760MPX Solutions have had an incredible number of BIOS revisions.

There is no reason you have run Dual CPUs in a 768/762 AMD board. However, let me point out that you do need Registered ECC DDR (most will run 512MB of RAM non-ECC, but all bets are off after that). OTOH: MP1200s can be had for under $60.00 each, and that is more than enough grunt for a medium to large business.

Full Gigabit Ethernet support is assured on a Dual AMD because of those swanky 64Bit/66MHz slots.

On the downside, Linux and Dual AMDs are not always a happy couple: I imagine the next kernel release of Linux will have much better Dual AMD support.
                            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Sivustomme rakennetta on päivitetty ja etsimäsi sivu saattaa olla kadonnut. Siirry tästä etusivulle.
                              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Working...
                              X