AOL spinoff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOL spinoff?

Stephen Case, who helped mastermind AOL's record-breaking acquisition of Time Warner, has begun to talk about the possibly of undoing the deal and spinning off AOL, according to two senior company executives who have spoken with him.
    http://www.iht.com/articles/97554.html

About freakin' time Time Warner got rid of that chain around their neck

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Genious business tactics! First, let's do an expensive and senseless merge, then, an expensive spinoff to form two separate companies again. I applaud their intelligence!

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

while they merge and undo the merge some few people will be engrossing their bank accounts while the little share holders will not see a penny from this.
      As my statistics teacher used to tell "money needs to be moved to grow". He was a freak so that's the only I remember from him and I don't quite understand it

ciao, Ivan
      <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

American Business Phylosophy?

Comment

The American business philosophy is often called "Grow Or Die"; aka GOD.

The GOD premise is that in business the failure to grow is equivalent to an organism dying; meaning that breaking even in any given year is losing money because of inflation and other factors.

Most businesses fail to grow because they either fail to plan, their plans are poorly thought out or fail to assess their strengths and weaknesses. Most importantly; they fail to assign accountabilities for growth and within the company itself.

The problem is that the AOL-Time Warner merger was a perversion of this idea in that from the get-go even the most agressive business leaders and analysts saw that their merger made no sense (bad mix & financials) and that accountability was likely to be a rare commodity given the egos involved.

This has been proven absolutely true since the merger was finalized, so IMO a split back to the former state is just a recognition of financial reality and common sense.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 May 2003, 08:10.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

What I was trying to say is they shouldn't even have merged in the first place - we had a nice word for the merger craziness here.. Fusionitis (fusion=merger).

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

We had Fusionitis hit the US back in the '80's, Chicken McNugget anyone?
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Can't help but remember the movie "Demolition Man" where all the restaurants had been gobbled up in mergers & everything was a Taco Bell

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The American business philosophy is often called "Grow Or Die"; aka GOD.

The GOD premise is that in business the failure to grow is equivalent to an organism dying; meaning that breaking even in any given year is losing money because of inflation and other factors.

Most businesses fail to grow because they either fail to plan, their plans are poorly thought out or fail to assess their strengths and weaknesses. Most importantly; they fail to assign accountabilities for growth and within the company itself.
                  now I'm interested in your opinion: why do we measure growth regarding companies (or the whole economy of a nation) in "more percent than the year before"? why not use a linear approach instead of this "exponential" one?
                  growing gets harder from year to year...

going a bit off-topic here...

mfg
                  wulfman
                  Last edited by Wulfman; 3 June 2003, 13:52.
                  "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                  "Lobsters?"
                  "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                  "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Working...
                  X