No announcement yet.

Wow, could this be considered cheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, could this be considered cheating?

Some people were having a discussion over at Head-Fi about this CD mat. I figured that if it can make DVD's look better...

It helped a dvd player, somewhat more I felt in the sound than picture, but there was some increase in picture clarity and edge, giving somewhat more of a 3 dimensional effect to the picture.
    Just imagine what it could do for CDROM's on your PC! I began by installing Unreal Tournament. I immediatly noticed that the install process was going faster than normal, clearly the mat was helping the drive read the data. After the install was complete I fired the game up and was surprised by how much better it sounded, with a wider soundstage, clarity and focus. The colors of the textures were better defined, even the edges of the polygons seemed crisper! But nothing prepared me for what happened when I went online and joined a team deathmatch. The aim of my weapons was clearly better, the tracking was more responsive and visibily more accurate. My opponents just seemed to fall into place, I got more head-shots in 2 minutes than I used to be able to get in 10! In the end, people starting complaining about it and they couldn't believe that all I was using was a CD mat! They were so sure it was a cheat that I had to leave the server. I don't have the time right now, but I'm sure if I were to reinstall my OS with the mat I would see a tremendous improvement across the board.

Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 26 May 2003, 14:11.

sounds akin to the infamous ' use a green marker at the edge of the CD, so the sound doesn't leak out'
    theory that came out when cd's were first introduced.

Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

*LOL

Actually, that marker stuff has a basis: Less reflections, thus less reading errors, thus less error correction, thus better sound. I doubt if it's enough to be heard, though

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

ROTFLMAO
        Audiophiles never deny them selfs
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Eh, who knows, it COULD help if your cd was vibrating a lot. While, I'm skeptical, I'd like to see someone try to prove it by seeing if data reads were faster with them, and to record and compare audio/video output, etc. Make it scientific, PROVE a significant difference, and then we'll talk. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
            ROTFLMAO
            Audiophiles never deny them selfs
            Saying that around these parts could get you flamed ;-)

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Oh, pooh. All you audio geeks know that you're talking a miniscule percentage improvement.

Once you get to a certain point, there's this thing called the law of diminishing returns.

And I'm STILL not convinced that there is ANY appreciable difference between the copper power cord, the silver power cord, and the platinum power cord. Sorry.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                And I'm STILL not convinced that there is ANY appreciable difference between the copper power cord, the silver power cord, and the platinum power cord. Sorry.

- Gurm
                When I upgraded my PC's power cord to a platinum plated silver cord the difference was so obvious, that if you can't see the difference you must be deaf, blind, and dumb! Come on, they must make a big difference, why else do they cost so much?

Anyone want to by some audiophile air? It comes it big bottles, you simply seal your listening room air-tight, use a vacuum pump to remove all the cheap, low quality air and fill it back up with my custom blended AkustikAir (tm) sonic transfer medium!

(A fool and his money are soon parted)
                Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 27 May 2003, 09:51.

Comment

Red wire sounds especially good.
                  But I found it's easy to mix up the polarity on the speakers.
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                    Oh, pooh. All you audio geeks know that you're talking a miniscule percentage improvement.

Once you get to a certain point, there's this thing called the law of diminishing returns.

- Gurm
                    Agreed...to a point. What you consider the cut-off and what I consider the cut-off will vary, I'm sure.

This of course has been argued to death on MURC and other places so I won't get into it here.

Jammrock
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
                      Red wire sounds especially good.
                      But I found it's easy to mix up the polarity on the speakers.
                      Hey, that's a good idea! I bet racing stripes help even more! I'm going to rice up my CD players and headphones.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                        Saying that around these parts could get you flamed ;-)

Jammrock
                        hehehe

Do your worst
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Ok, I dare anyone to tell me that this isn't just someone trying to make a frighteningly easy buck:

Pile 'O Really Expensive rocks ($399)

…The lines on the sonic cloth were very defined yet integrated. The instrument separation was well delineated yet it doesn't give the feeling that they were playing individually but in total harmony. Strings rang out with preciseness and extension. Voices were rich with warmth yet uncoloured. Guitars were coherent and felt more tuneful. Pianos were powerful yet perfect scaled and seem better tuned harmonically. Ambience and inner detail were simply stunning…

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                            Ok, I dare anyone to tell me that this isn't just someone trying to make a frighteningly easy buck:
                            Well, some idiot has to buy it first.

Comment

On the other hand, remember the pet rock? It was a fad for awhile way back in the 70s.. died out quick but a lot of people bought them. I think I will invent the pet turd. Just pick up hunks o shit in a cow pasture and sell them for big bucks. If people gave the pet rock guy tons of money just in perverse admiration for having the balls to be a capitalist ripoff artist, then they should buy hunks of crap twice as fast!

Comment

Working...
                              X