How does the Matrox Card Know ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the Matrox Card Know ???

I get lousey output of DVD to VCR and I understand this is due to copy protection.
    If I go directly to TV does the problem go away ? If so, How does the HW know it aint a VCR (eg. is the impedance different or what) ?

thanks,

VCRs include Macrovision circuits which DVD outputs. Basically, the decoded analogue signal contains information regarding colour brightness (I think). The VCR recognises the brightness changes and makes adjustments to compensate. The upshot is a nasty colour flashing problem. TVs don't feature the Macrovision chips and so don't may any attention to the brightness level.

The way around this, is to get a hacked VCR, find a way to stop the DVD player outputting a Macrovision. Some commercial DVD players include an undocumented feature that allows you to turn off Macrovision, and there are loads of PC utilities for software players.

The subject is pretty technical, and beyond my knowledge - there's a macrovision faq somewhere. Try google.

Comment

And then there is the SIMA SCC gadget that removes most of the commonly used Macrovision protections. It has both composite and S-Video in/outs. $129 at Videoguys.

http://www.videoguys.com

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
      X