How to silence the Parhelia ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to silence the Parhelia ?

I've come to the point in my silencing project where I beleive the Parhelia now is the biggest source of noise... But as I'm a bit afraid of modding my Parhelia too much, I thought I would just change the fan and connect the new fan to my Rheobus...
    Now as I've understood the Parhelia has a 50x50mm heatsinkand thus I should use a 50x50 fan...but it seems in Norway you can' get any good 50x50 fans so I wonder if anyone has had any luck in mounting a 60x60 fan on the stock heatsink ? Do I need a 50-60mm fanadapter or can I barely make it without any special mods ?

Cobos
    My Specs
    AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Many of the pentium-era heatsinks use 50mm fan... easy to find actually. I got mine from a pentium 200 mmx (I think!)

Of course you can mount a 60mm fan with only 1 screw at only 1 corner. But this wouldn't be total silence due to the vibration... I use a 80mm fan with only 1 screw, but thats a modded heatsink.

Temperature wise, any 60x10mm fans should better than that original 40mm teeny tiny fan. Or you can possibly use a 60x25mm fan and run it at 5v, if possible.

By the way I have never seen a off-the-shelf 50->60mm adaptor yet... you sure there is no good 50mm fans in Norway? Have you tried Farnell yet?

Farnell is one of the world's largest distributors of electronic components. With a stock of over 950,000 electronic components, we provide FAST same day despatch and FREE technical support.

They have a good range of Papst fans.
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I've checked Papst's own pages and it seems they only have 1 relevant fan with 50mm (the others are 24V DC and or not axial design). And the specs I would like for my fan a lot better matches some of the 60mm fans tey've got....
      Since you've modded your Parhelia, you don't happen to have the original Parhelia heatsink lying aroudn do you ? If you do could you please give me the exact measurement ?

Cobos
      My Specs
      AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

Hi.

How about Zalman's ZM80A-HP for silent cooling system?

Zalman said it doesn't support Parhelia, but some people could attached it on Parhelia.

And if you try attachment, you take on responsibility of such a thing.
        Matrox Parhelia(FR) 128MB with ZALMAN ZM-GWB1
        My Matrox history:G550, Parhelia

Comment

The problem with the Zalman is that it would mean a major operation on the Parhelia and I would like to do as little work on it as possible.. that way if I ever have to use the warranty on it again I can only take off my own fan and connect the old Matrox fan again....
          (And I'm less likely to mess up my own Parhelia in the first place...

Cobos
          My Specs

Comment

Hi there Cobos

Look at www.microplex.no there they have 50x50 fans, both from Pabst and Titan. This is a good webshop, I have bougth several fans/cooling solutions from them

Lykke til med moddingen!

Comment

I've checked Microplex, I'm a regular there But I wasn't too happy about the 50x50 Papst fan they had there, but after checking the Papst's homepage I've discovered microplex doesn't carry any other good 50x50 fan because they don't make any other than the model they've got
              But I'll either settle for the Papst 50x50 one or try to fit a 60x60 one instead it seems...

Anyway thanks for the tip

Cobos
              My Specs

Comment

How about a silent Zalman 8cm fan that attaches above the AGP slot? You could remove the 50x50 fan altogether.

Comment

Now that is a good idea.....and I wonder why I didn't think about that myself earlier ??
                  Especially since the reason I'm suspecting the Parhelia is that I've installed a Zalman CPU cooler

Cobos
                  My Specs

Comment

Just made myself an adapter plate to fit a larger fan asa replacement on my dying 8500 fan/HS.

I cut an old CD to have inner hole roughly the size of the original fan, keeping enough plastic to use the original mounting srews to mount it.
                    (screw hole countersunk so the heads don't rub on the fan blades)

Then cut around the outside to fit the larger fan
                    I used a surplus fan from a socket 7 HS, and I have several spares just in case.

A lot quieter and cooler, a its good to find a use for all the" coasters" I have lying around.

Comment

I replaced the original HSF with a Titan CUV2AB which is round. There are choices of four retaining strips supplied with it. One fits exactly to the Parhelia holes and you can poke in the supplied pins too.The tippy-tips of the chip stick out but that doesn't seem to matter.

The Titan silver thermal paste is as good as it gets too, and is easy to work with. I tried Artic Silver 3 first, which drips and runs all over the place, but the Titan paste performs better.

Remove the retaining pins from the original HSF, warm the sink with a hairdryer, twist the HSF a bit to break the suction and lift it off. Scrape the original tarmac thermal past off with a razor blade and clean the rest off with isopropyl alcohol.

With the stock HSF the Parhelia used to run between 47C and 52C. With the Titan CUV2AB it runs between 40C to 45C.

... and it's quiet...
                      Last edited by mutz; 28 May 2003, 11:21.
                      How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                      Who cares?

Comment

pics please mutz?
                        P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                        Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                        And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

...posted this pic last year. Let's seem if I get my fingers smacked for posting it again...

Smack!

ok, rename...

...no go

...go back in time to
                          here

Go down the whole page, there are a number of pix, mine is near the bottom.
                          How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                          Who cares?

Comment

Working...
                          X