Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot create VideoCD nor S-VideoCD

Hello all,

I have a RR-Studio on a Millenium II-AGP.
    I captured two video's:
    1. 704x576, MJPEG compression
    2. 352x288, MJPEG compression
    No lost frames.

Of video 1 I created an MPEG-2 file with LSX Encoder. Of video 2 I created an MPEG-1 file with LSX Encoder.

Then I created a S-Video-CD from the MPEG-2 file and a Video-CD from the MPEG-1 file. Both with Nero burning rom.

They both don't work however... :-(
    LSX did complain about the resolution...
    At what resolution should I have captured? Should I have captured uncompressed video?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion...

Try the following two links for good starter guides.
    www.vcdhelper.com for VCD and www.geocities.com/bug2kbug/svcdguide.htm for SVCDs.

Both VCD and SVCD require specific formats in order to comply with the standards. I use TMPGEnc to do the encoding because:
    1) It's Free
    2) It's Very Good
    3) It has templates for VCD and SVCD creation - the defaults will produce good results and the links above will help you get even better results.
    4) It's Free (get the idea!!)

Go to www.jamsoft.com/tmpgenc for download and some other useful links.

Phil
    AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

Not to mention that it's FREE!!

Really, TMPGEnc is much better than LSX for VideoCD's of any stripe.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

TMPGEnc does indeed beat LSX hands-down for VCD, but personally I think Panasonic MPEG-1 encoder is better still. TMPGEnc is too blocky on fast moving scenes, no matter how much I tinker with the settings.

Chris.

Comment

Yes indeedy doo, 2 thumbs up for the Panasonic Mpeg1 encoder. It is a crying shame they won't take the step towards Mpeg2 encoding. That would have the competition worrying.
          Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

I too wonder what is going on at Panasonic Digital. Seems recently that they are making a lot of small upgrades to their encoder but no major format advances. Perhaps they want to sell as many units as possible under MPEG-1 and then, when and if they ever step up to MPEG-2, create a whole new product and charge full $$ for it instead of making it an upgrade.

I'm using TMPGEnc these days and I like it a lot, and since I've settled on NERO to burn my VCDs, Panasonic is completely on the shelf. As far as I know Panasonic clips still do not work with NERO.

Comment

I've burned several VCD's using Panasonic for encoding and Nero for burning. They all play back just fine on my standalone DVD player.

Comment

I work fine with Xing Plugins for Adobe Premiere, and Nero Burning Rom, this for PAL VCD.
                What about standalone DVD players???
                I'll buy one of this, and i would know which support compliants VCD

thanks
                Asus A7M266-D
                AMD Dual Athlon XP1800+
                DDR PC2100 512(2 x 256) MB
                Ge Force 2 MX400 - 64 MB
                OHCI 1394 controller
                Panasonic NV-DS15 Pal (DV in enabled)
                HD IBM 60 GXP 7200 rpm 60 GB (system)
                HD WD Caviar 7200 rpm 60 GB

Adobe Premiere 6.01
                Windows XP Pro

Comment

The following link lists quite a few DVD players which will play VCD's. The list is not comprehensive however.
                  http://www.vcdhelper.com/dvdplayers.htm

Comment

Thanks for the info RoGuE.. I didn't really pay much attention to the latest 2.51 release of Panasonic because I had just done the 2.50 upgrade. It appears that with 2.51 they solved the Nero problem which used to be listed very prominently on the Panasonic site.

As for standalone play, it seems to be a matter of choosing the right unit and then finding discs that have the right color on the recording surface. I recently purchased a Pioneer DV-333 reported to play VCD and SVCD. I started out using blue-faced Sony CDR discs and the unit would play them about 50% of the time. The other 50% it "thought" an audio CD was in its mouth. Supposedly silver-faced discs work best. I purchased a silver-faced CDR disc or two and they did not work consistently either. Someone on the TMPGEnc forum mentioned Memorex CD-RW platinum discs so I tried them and those expensive things work perfectly every time. I will continue to look for that elusive cheap disc to burn VCD's that play perfectly in my standalone.

Comment

Hello dchip,

I've personally found that Kodak CDR-Ultima disks work very well with my Wharfedale DVD750 player. I haven't tried any other CD-R media (CDRW's work though), as I had read that 'coloured' media can be iffy.

Chris.

[This message has been edited by RoGuE (edited 07 October 2000).]

Comment

I haven't found a brand of CDR that my Wharfedale 750 WON'T read!

It was the one trip to Tescos that I REALLY enjoyed!!

Vic
                        ...Formerly Vic but my password doesnt work ;-(

Comment

Working...
                        X