What Router should I get???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Router should I get???

My old Linksys is getting flaky and I have to disconnect the power at least once a week to get it working properly.

I also can't seem to connect my "Work laptop" via VPN with the old BEFSR41 router. I still haven't figured this dilema out....

So, should I get a Linksys BEFSX41 or get a Netgear RP614???

I'll only have 2-3 computers on the router at any one time.

Anyways, I'll be heading over to Bestbuy within 1.5 hrs when I get off work.
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

I'm using the befsr41, with no problems.
    have you tried reflashing to the latest frimware??
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I did that last week and it didn't help. Almost killed the POS.....LOL

I'm the only one I know of at work who can't just plug in and use the laptop at home.

Everything is set to auto detect (router) and laptop.

Tried ipconfig /release then /renew on the laptop and can't recieve packets from router.
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I've got the SX41. It's okay, but overall, Linksys is really weak on support.

It's not the worst purchase I ever made, but next time, I'm getting a Netgear. My friends with them have no problems.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well, I got the Netgear RP614. It's up and running
          like a champ!! $69.99 minus $20.00 mail-in rebate

It's very small and comes with a stand (smaller than my cable modem)

Now I'll try connecting the laptop.......

Comment

Hmm.. I seem to recall reccommending the Netgear way back when you bought that Linksys.

Oh well, hopefully this one will work out better.

Comment

I remember.....LOL

I still can't connect with the Laptop using the VPN Client Software

The port light is on. The Laptop Nic is set to - Obtain IP and DNS automatically.

The Local connection(VPN Client Virtual Adapter #2) is set to obtain both IP and DNS automatically.

I opened a DOS window and tried: "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew" and still can't recieve packets from the router or modem when connected directly.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                Hmm.. I seem to recall reccommending the Netgear way back when you bought that Linksys.

Oh well, hopefully this one will work out better.
                You might have. At the time, it felt like the flip of a coin between brands. Still does, but next time I'll see what "tails" is like.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Did you try the DMZ port to see if you can get through to the VPN that way?

Comment

DMZ doesn't work either....

Really strange....

Comment

Not to be rude, but are you sure you turned the DMZ on? On the Linksys you have to log into the router and set it, and maybe soft reset the box.

Comment

I'll try again

Comment

The IP address was still there but still nothing...

I may have to reinstall the VPN Client Software again. If I run ipcongif /all the IP adress and subnet mask for the nic and local area connection are: 0.0.0.0 for all.

Comment

0.0.0.0 is the default address when I client is configured for DHCP. Then they send out a broadcast call "I'm 0.0.0.0 and my MAC ID is XXYZ, some DHCP server out there give me an IP." Sounds like maybe you're not finding your DHCP server, or it's deciding not to talk back.

Comment

I'm tapped out on my little bit of networking knowlege for tonight. I'll fight with this later...

Comment

Working...
                              X