No announcement yet.

EU may get a membership application....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU may get a membership application....

from Israel!!

The visiting delegation from the European Union was startled this week when Israel Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said his government was weighing an applicatio

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Found this interesting

For the EU, Israel's impressive high-tech industry could be useful, but any economic advantages to Israeli membership would have to be balanced against the wider political costs to the EU, unless the Jewish state's relationship with its Arab neighbors is transformed. Even then, those European countries like France that already sneer at Britain as "America's Trojan horse" (and the German media that sneers at Poland as "America's Trojan donkey") might hesitate before admitting another such pro-American member.
    Germany is going to be crying for the American Troops to come back when they get permently redeployed to either Poland or Hungray. 1st Armored Division is already not coming back to Germany when its done with its deployment to Iraq.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Yeah right

Though I found what little I read of the article (too tired now) interesting.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Oh, I re-read what you wrote and it at least makes sense now *LOL (I'm really too tired). I still don't understand your reasoning - why would germany be crying for the troops to come back?

AZ

Comment

But Israel already takes part in Eurovision
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

The sooner American troops leave Germany the better.

Comment

The sooner American troops leave Germany the better.
              Why?

Comment

My reason is not the same, but World War II was a long time ago not tomention the end of the cold war. Why are we still there especially as we are not wanted?

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                  My reason is not the same, but World War II was a long time ago not tomention the end of the cold war. Why are we still there especially as we are not wanted?
                  Funny, that's basically my reason. Has any other country in recent memory suffered occupation for 60 years?

Comment

But is it occupation? The USA has bases all over the world and they are not considered occupying forces even though the people most of the times do not want them there.

Comment

Anyway this is not the topic of this thread. I don't think Israel is seriously considering EU membership. There will have to be some radical changes in Israel for it to be accepted but in any case I don't think the Israelites would want to jeopardize their independence in any way even in terms of an EU membership. The strength of the EU will show at hard times and its track record hasn't been good so far.

Comment

We're not in Germany to be in Germany. We're in Germany because it's a lot easier to fly over places from Germany than it is from say, New Jersey.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

This has been suggested several times already, but I doubt whether it is likely to come to pass. Turkey still has a long way to go, even though a small part of it is in Europe. None of Israel is in Europe. Until Israel is at peace with all its neighbours, including extremist groups, then it wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being accepted as a full member. Even non-members with special relations with the EU, such as Norway and Switzerland, have to toe a lot of the EU-decreed lines.

Of course, if Israel were accepted in a few decades, it would open the way for all the Arab nations, as well, so Europe will expand into Africa, as well as Asia.

Interestingly, this island is geographically Asian but culturally European (which Israel isn't) and will accede to the EU next April (unfortunately!).
                          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Why is that unfortunate Brian?
                            Last edited by efty; 24 May 2003, 00:32.

Comment

I'd be happy if the prospect of becoming paying member of the EU would make Israel more peaceful and less extremist (and yes, I realize they aren't the only ones too quick to the weapon in that region).

Germany was under siege only until 1951. About 400000 foreign troops were stationed in west germany - both to keep germany under control and as the first line against the communist countries - until 1995, when two thirds of them and all russian troops left.

Brian, why don't you want Cyprus to belong to the EU?

AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X