G400 + Rainbow Runner vs Marvel G400-TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 + Rainbow Runner vs Marvel G400-TV

I'm in the process of selecting components for a new PC (please see related post in the Matrox Hardware forum). One of the features I'm interested in is non-linear editting of many hours of collected Hi-8 family video footge for output to S-VHS. I want
    reasonably powerful editting capabilities and negligible loss of quality.

The combination of G400 (or MAX) plus Rainbow Runner G-Series seems to fit
    the bill perfectly. The cost is about the same as a Marvel G400-TV (a
    little more with MAX) so that's not an issue. The former option includes
    Ulead Media Studio which by all accounts is a far better package than Avid
    Cinema, provides full DualHead support and comes without the connector box
    whose only purpose seems to be to clutter up the work area.

What concerns me is that despite all the above, Matrox recommends the Marvel
    if the primary purpose is video editting! Can someone explain why this is
    so? What is the advantage of the Marvel for video editting except the
    saving of a PCI slot?

Additionally, can I expect the G400 + RR (or Marvel for that matter) option
    to run successfully under Win2K in a dual CPU machine?

And lastly, is there any value to be had from the MAX if gaming performance
    is not required?

Thanks in advance,
    Vladimir.

For the moment you can't really expect to run them sucesfully at all under win2k.

These questions have been answered many times before, just do a search in the desktop video forum.

------------------
    ------------
    ------

Comment

What concerns me is that despite all the above, Matrox recommends the Marvel
      if the primary purpose is video editting! Can someone explain why this is
      so? What is the advantage of the Marvel for video editting except the
      saving of a PCI slot?

No advantage at all as far as video editing goes. The Marvel is more of a convenience because it's a 1 card solution with a BoB. To some folks, the BoB is handy becuase you don't have to crawl behind the pc if you ever have to change a connection.

Not yet. If win2k is your OS, then I suggest you wait until we release the win2k capture drivers because the current beta build is not really stable to complete an entire video project.

And lastly, is there any value to be had from the MAX if gaming performance
      is not required?

No. If gaming isn't a big deal for you, you can get a G400/RRG combo instead since there is no sacrifice being made regarding video work.

Comment

Originally posted by Haig:

Not yet. If win2k is your OS, then I suggest you wait until we release the win2k capture drivers because the current beta build is not really stable to complete an entire video project.
        Thanks Haig. Do you have a production release date for these drivers, even a rubbery one?

Comment

Unfortunately,

I can't give out release dates. Not even rubbery ones.

You can try your luck with our sales staff if you wish.

Haig

Comment

hehehe

Haig, could you please rephrase "try your luck" ? That has a sexual connotation over here, and I (for one) would not like to "try my luck" with your sales staff AT LEAST until I've seen some photo's.

Comment

Well, I've conceded defeat. From reading other posts I gather that video capture support for Win2K is not a problem restricted to Matrox.

So be it. I'll stick with Matrox and abandon dual CPUs and Win2k. Looks like I'll just have to put up with a few more years of Win 98's inherent instability :-(

I'd still like a straight answer to one simple question; Is the G400 + Rainbow Runner, Matrox's superior (non-professional)video editting solution?

Regards,
              Vladimir.

Comment

Oops,

didn't know about that expression You can ask Ant about it since he was down here last year. So what's your answer

Vladimir - Yes the G400/RRG is the best non professional video editing solution we have.

If you are not interested in the 3D aspect or not into any gaming at all, then you would get the same results useing:

G200/RRG
                Mill II/RRS
                Mystique/RRS

The only disadvantage of getting the RRS combo is that there won't be any win2k drivers for both the display and video portion of the card.

Haig

Comment

Hi Haig,

Ant debriefed me on the Canada visit of last year, but he neglected to include details of the physical attributes of your sales team. I'll pick him up on that in case of future visits.

He did mention something about a big Mustang, but to be honest I put that down to jetlag and too much Seagrams. He's also mentioned a few times since his visit that he would love to come back for a family holiday and frequently includes the phrase "loaded for bear", which I don't understand. Is this something to do with having to declare soft toys in hand luggage ?

My darling wife has also asked me to put my name down for short trips to Canada, but her favourite term is "loaded for department store" <shrugs>. On the other hand, that would leave me free to a) Take the long course on RT2K (and probably Digisuite) and also take pictures of your sales staff which brings us back to the original point. (I think).

Comment

Indeed I shared the back seat of a Mustang with two senior members of the Matrox tech support team, still not sure which one was feeling my bottom, I won't mention Haig and Ollivers names for fear of implicating them, oops

Comment

Working...
                    X