Bugger my MSI Neo 875p doesn't like dual channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugger my MSI Neo 875p doesn't like dual channel

Stable as a rock in single channel mode.
    Dual channel, random crashes defrag locks up.
    Perhaps it doesn't like my Crucial 512mb pc2700 ram.
    Well theres a few bios tweeks to try yet. Too knackered to try now.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Crucial 512 PC2700 RAM is great.
    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

It would appear that loads of Canterwood boards are having loads of problems with some memory types - there are BIOS updates galore being released to solve the problems.
      Just be wary of the latest MSI one, apparently more people than not kill their boards with the update :-/

I had an ASUS P4G8X-Deluxe (Granite Bay) and I now have a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 (Canterwood) and I'm using 2x Crucial 512MB PC2700 DDR modules and they have been 100% stable in both systems.
      It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
      Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

I have the exact same MSI board,and dual channel seems to be working fine...I'm using standard kingston PC2700 DDR sdram.

Msi needs to release an updated bios ASAP,the curent 1.20 is seriously screwed up as far as reporting the correct cpu temps properly and there are also some fairly large CPU voltage issues to deal with as well...

Not too mention that pretty much any settings relative to FSB,DRAM speeds and AGP lock settings don't get saved once the system is restarted...
        note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
        P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

I cannot believe that TP has got himself another lemon.
          I'm waiting for the asusP4C800 non-deluxe model which on spec is better than the deluxe model if you don't want onboard firewire.

Comment

the Asus board (at least the Deluxe) doesn't use CSA...

I'm going for the Intel board, without Audio.

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
              I cannot believe that TP has got himself another lemon.
              I'm waiting for the asusP4C800 non-deluxe model which on spec is better than the deluxe model if you don't want onboard firewire.

Well...I'm still hoping for a bios update that fixes those issues once and for all...

In any case, i bought the board about 4 days ago and still have over 2 weeks left to either return it and get a full refund,or exchange it for another canterwood board at no extra cost(abit,asus,Aopen,etc...).

Though it seems that in general,pretty much every canterwood board is having issues at least when it comes to memory compatibility...

Most of those canterwood boards can't handle corsair LL series ram without having stability issues crop up,regardless of it speed rating for instance....
              note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
              P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

You never believe version 1.4 is now out and 1.3 has disappeared.
                I'll some different Crucial ram 256mb and see what happens. Also theres voltage adjustments plus one or two other bits I can do.

As for buying a lemons. Yup I'm good at it.

I went wrong with the 9800 pro though works like a charm.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Check the little "Memory recommendation" thingy on the left of the page that says Kingston...

Either the board has issues with various brands but Kingston or they signed a deal with them. Both ways you might be better off selling your Crucial ang getting some Kingston sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt

Check the little "Memory recommendation" thingy on the left of the page that says Kingston...

Either the board has issues with various brands but Kingston or they signed a deal with them. Both ways you might be better off selling your Crucial ang getting some Kingston sticks.
                    If you download the memory pdf you will that they tested Micron (Crucial) memory and they passed. Even with all the sockets full. It does look like a compatability problem but it could also be a duff board some driver or other etc.
                    I'm going to try the latest bios anyway first of all.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Good news the latest Bios fixes the issue.
                      All it seems to do is change the burst length from 8 to 4. Before it always set itself to 8 and this was one thing I was going to try anyway.
                      So if you don't want to update the bios try altering this setting.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Don't know if it's also implemented in the 875 boards, it's said to be in the 865 Neo 2, though MSI seems to be working on a little thing they call "dynamic overclocking".
                        And it goes something like this:
                        « The manufacturer has incorporated an ingenious logic circuit that increases the FSB speed between 6 and 8 percent while programs are running; the processor is automatically overclocked. However, FSB and CPU speeds are only increased when applications are started or when benchmark programs have finished - subject to CPU usage reaching close to 100 percent. And this is really interesting: the overclocking does not show up using conventional benchmarking utilities such as WCPUID, Intel CPU Frequency Display, CPUZ or SiSoft Sandra 2003. You need a very specialized tool to reveal the increased bus speed .»
                        the rest of the article is in French and also links to an article on Tom's, regarding this.

Now, this might have nothing to do with your board, though this is something they plan on adding in future highend products, so I thought I'd post it.
                        Last edited by Admiral; 22 May 2003, 12:17.

Comment

Don't like the sound of that. When companies try determine your best settings automatically they normally make a balls of it.
                          ATI with dumbfart
                          Matrox with the AGP testing on the G200, G400 dunno about the P.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Nah, MSI seems to be overclocking things without you knowing just to get better benchmarks.

Comment

I think Toms speaking bull again as so far I haven't see anything like he's suggested under the 875. So either it's not implemented or it's fantasy.
                              Last edited by The PIT; 22 May 2003, 12:35.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X