Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wireless setup questions...(almost got it).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless setup questions...(almost got it).

Please help me get this wireless link fixed:

I have cable and connect through a Netgear RT314, using dchp. The router is 192.168.0.1 and my regular pc (called MAIN) is 192.168.0.2.

I have borrowed a Belkin FD6050 wireless USB adapter (which XP Pro recognised and installed without complaint on MAIN. I have also borrowed a Toshiba Tecra T9000 with wifi, runnin win2kPro.

I can get the two PCs to connect. I have set the ssids and security key. I can even see MAIN in the workgroup from the T9000.

One weird thing is that XP says the link is 11Mbps and the T9000 says it is 2Mbps!

I want the T9000 to be able to browse the web via the wifi link. Any suggestions what I need to do? I've tried ICS (which fails because it wants MAIN to be 192.168.0.1) and I've tried bridging, which just kills everything.

Thanks

T.
    FT.

why don't you simply change th XP IP to 192.168.0.1? It doesn't matter for your router if it's not 192.168.0.1.

Comment

Thanks Kurt.

I tried that - shifted the router to 192.168.0.100, power cycled and got MAIN on 192.168.0.1. Re-established the radio link.

I still get an error about a device being on 192.168.0.1 - I get the feeling it just doesn't like the router there - this is certainly one configuration that the wizard doesn't mention. I don't want to remove the router if I can avoid it.

Anyone, please?

Cheers

T.
      FT.

Comment

You'll need a wireless access point

With regards to the speed discrepency, you can usually set the card to use a set speed or determine it automatically, try forcing the laptop to 11mbps.
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Thanks Taz. Also thanks to the chaps on #murc last night.

Here's the current situation:

I can enable ICS without it complaining when the router isn't there; The reason I can't browse from the laptop is because I can't even ping the usb wifi nic from it! You would have thought that if the wifi network connects (with correct ssid & wep key working) that pinging would be possible, no?

As I understand it, the gateway IP of the laptop should be the IP of the primary nic in MAIN? Do the IPs of the wifi nics need to be in any particular range?

Thanks

T.
          FT.

Comment

Can you give the laptop WiFi NIC a fixed IP, unplug the Belkin USN NIC from MAIN and try to ping the Tecra WiFI NIC? Additionally, does it come with a little utility to check if your card is not defect? (It could be the Belkin one as well, who knows...)

If you can't ping your own card, there's sth fishy with your system...

Comment

I won't have the laptop for a little while now, so no more testing for a bit.

Kurt, I'm not sure I follow your suggestion; do you mean ping the tecra wifi nic from the tecra?

T.
              FT.

Comment

yes. just ping the tecra wifi from,; well, the tecra wifi...

if you can't even ping yourself, eithere there's a driver/installation/configuration problem of the wifi card is toast.

do the same with the belkin on another computer.

there might just be an incompatibility problem between the two cards -would not be unusual for wifi equipment...

Comment

Working...
                X