ADSL phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADSL phone?

My computer is connected to the phone line though the ADSL modem router (DG814). I want to be able to phone contacts say from outlook. Is this possible? Currently it asks for me to install a modem... is there a way I can connect a phone to the router and get the computer to dail?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

No way!
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

This brave(?) man gave his modem away!
      FT.

Comment

Technically yes. There are telephone programs for the computer, but you will need a standard modem in your PC for it to work. The program will dial out for you, then you will either have to pick up the receiver and hang up on the computer, or talk via the computer (like if you have a headset). Just make sure to plug the modem into a standard phone jack.

It's also fun to record calls on your computer

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

On a similar note: on my ADSL connection, I can use the old telephone just fine to ring out - it's just that it no longer rings when people call in. No problem really, as people tend to call my mobile, but it's annoying me.

Is this a power thing as the phone is an old fashioned ring-with-a-bell one? If I got a cheapy modern phone without a physical bell, would it ring when people called?
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

DM - the phone needs a 90V ac on top of the 50V dc to ring. You can easily check if they are present and getting to the phone. The 50V will drop right down to a few volts when off-hook.

Each device on your phone network will have a REN (Ringer Equivalence Number). Add them all up and it should be <=4.

I presume you are using a microfilter - could it be faulty?

T.
            FT.

Comment

Either the microfilter is faulty or the really old phone is. I bet the phone Cheers "Tone"

Comment

which make & model microfilter are you using?

Comment

Generic rubbish cheap-ass? Me? Never! As I said, it's no real bother...

Comment

have you got a multi-meter?
                    FT.

Comment

if the microfilter was faulty i guess the phone lines would be dead...
                      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Yes I have a multimeter but the probes are probably a bit too fat (like me ) - will try and hunt down some paperclips or thin wire or sommat.

I still reckon it's the phone though. (As I said, it works to call out, but just doesn't ring (If I know when it's ringing, I can pick it up and answer it).

Will check the socket out tonight - otherwise a cheapy 5-10 quid phone will do as a replacement.

Comment

Ok, you'll need to check pins 2 & 5 - red & white wires.

Good luck.

T.
                          FT.

Comment

Thanks again Phone-Tone.

Comment

NP Danger Ranger....err, its the best I could do at the time
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X