PDA

View Full Version : Any people making music over here?

Tempest
21st May 2003, 08:51
I was just wondering if we have any musicians here? All kinds qualify - those that make a living out of it, and those performing / playing / composing just for fun. Links to samples of your music are of course welcome :)

Personally, I play a little keyboards and used to own a drum set, but I haven't gone to any music schools... As a child I used to play the electric organ (sounds kinky) that we had at home. I'm interested in electronic / computer music, and used to spend a lot of time in Scream Tracker and Impulse Tracker, but since they only work in DOS I gave up on them... And zTracker (http://ztracker.sourceforge.net/) isn't quite the same, so I'm currently using Cakewalk for the little I do - for me the melody is usually more important than the effects.

I'm (in)famous for never having completed a whole piece of music though, most of the time I just play for fun, coming up with catchy refrains but never patient enough to make a whole song out of it.

Here's a short cliché-march MIDI tune that I did last night (meant to be played as a loop): file (http://koti.mbnet.fi/~sampokoo/misc/proudgm.mid) <small>
Updated the file... This really isn't the typical style for me, I'm normally more into electro / dancepop / house... But I like to experiment now and then.</small>

GNEP
21st May 2003, 08:55
I sing in the shower.

Badly. :)

ZokesPro
21st May 2003, 08:57
Then let's hope it isn't recorded! :D (j/k)

I used to create *.mod *.s3m files and such with Impulse Tracker but that was way back when.

Jammrock
21st May 2003, 09:00
I do not personally, but know many people who do. One friend who does some techno/house stuff uses Reason 2.5. The software package has the sound banks for every major keyboard and fx machine to come out in the past 25+ years. It's the bomb from what I hear.

For mixing or editing music files on a PC, the prefered software packages are Sound Forge and Cool Edit Pro.

Jammrock

gt40
21st May 2003, 09:02
whats better than a rose on a piano?

Tulips on my organ.
:D

Gurm
21st May 2003, 10:06
I play guitar and piano, although not so much piano since an apartment isn't a good place to have one of those. :)

- Gurm

KeiFront
21st May 2003, 10:14
Originally posted by ZokesPro
Then let's hope it isn't recorded! :D (j/k)
I used to create *.mod *.s3m files and such with Impulse Tracker but that was way back when.

The old days, I used Fasttracker 2 to make my mod files :).

ZokesPro
21st May 2003, 10:16
Do you remember Cubic Player? I loved that program.

KeiFront
21st May 2003, 10:22
Vaguely, It wasn't as graphical as Fasttracker or other trackers IIRC.

Paddy
21st May 2003, 10:44
LOL @GT :)

Paddy
21st May 2003, 10:45
I can play the guitar and the clarinet. (both badly)

Zitch
21st May 2003, 11:21
Originally posted by ZokesPro
Do you remember Cubic Player? I loved that program.

Ooo... Cubic Player..... (drools...)

Err...

I used to do some songs in Scream Tracker 3, then Impulse Tracker later. I've been trying to get back into music making with Mod Plug Tracker, but an 8-5 job and girlfriend tends to not leave nearly enough time to write music in.

Otherwise, I play a bit of piano and acoustic guitar. Not really good at either though. Or the musicmaking bit in that case... ;)

I have a couple songs up on Angelfire. One's was a quick job of Greensleeves I did this previous Christmas when I was trying to get back into the flow of things. The other was a metal song I composed in the summer of '97 or so.

Here is the link if you want to make fun of me have a listen: http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/modmusic/

SpiralDragon
21st May 2003, 13:29
I play the Piano and keybord... have three picese that i can say are compositions and curently i am working on a scor for a film.. i dont like techno but this film requiers techno... i personaly like clasik rock and clasical music as far back as the renecance.... anciant music is also fabulus... much inspiered by Alen Parsons, Bach, Bathoven, Brahms, Rachmaninove, Debusy, Led zeplin, Pink Floyd, Vangelis, The doors, Dead Can Dance etc... etc...

I use CubaseSX and Wavelab for editing and scoring... Cubase is the program for music creation with all the VST instruments and all... got over 10GB of samples on my PC including drums of all sorts...

no links as i dont have them on the net.

GNEP
21st May 2003, 13:55
What about e-Jay? :D

Indiana
21st May 2003, 16:50
I play keyboard / electric organ (not too well, though).

Used to create some tracks with Oktalyzer on the Amiga and even before that with some Soundtracker- predecessor on the C=64 coded by Chris Huelsbeck.

Lizzard[MPE]
21st May 2003, 17:25
i play drums. and havent played in many years. so thats a negative on the making music thing

Brian R.
21st May 2003, 23:02
I play piano - pretty exclusively Bach, Mozart, and Chopin.

SpiralDragon
21st May 2003, 23:09
Lizz :up:
(trying not to sound perverted)
i always liked seeing ladies go for the drums... i find it intreeging (sp)
...... :D

Paddy
22nd May 2003, 00:22
bits bouncing about?????

Fat Tone
22nd May 2003, 01:09
I play Trombone. Used to play in big-bands, wind-bands and symphony-orchestras but its been a while since I had the time.

Funnily enough I dusted it off last weekend and let my lad have a go. He wants to play an instrument but I think he should start smaller.

T.

VJ
22nd May 2003, 05:36
I wanted to learn to play the guitar (electrical) so I bought a Yamaha Pacifica 112 + Marshall amplifier; only to develop artritis in my fingers shortly afterwards (already suffered from artritis, this was only a matter of time, I was 18 at the time, so I didn't think I'd suffer that soon from it)... :(
Anyway, the guitar is just lying there... I'm hoping for better days, and that one day I'll be able to get playing on it again (hadn't learned much yet). :(

But the answer would then be "no"...

Jörg

Ribbit
22nd May 2003, 07:38
I play guitar (classical and electric, although haven't done classical for a while) and bass, and I sometimes pretend to be a drummer too.

I agree with SpiralDragon - there's something really appealing about girls on the drums. (No Paddy, it's nothing like that. :)) Wasn't Liz supposed to be coming this side of the pond sometime? Maybe we should hook up... :D

Taz
22nd May 2003, 09:27
Another guitarist although purely for fun, I don't see myself as being the next Dave Gilmour or anything :D

gt40
22nd May 2003, 09:30
Anybody play the butt-bongo's?;)

Tempest
22nd May 2003, 09:49
If you can play any string or brass/woodwind instrument then you can consider yourself a minor deity in my eyes. I'm the guy in your music class who could never get those guitar chords right fast enough. I tremble in fear at any instrument which requires bending your fingers into abnormal positions to get a chord or shaping your mouth just right to even get a tone out of the damn thing.

btw. Buddman hasn't replied to this thread, but from what I remember he's pretty much into music...