Farg'n M$ $M$ POS...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farg'n M$ $M$ POS...

The brilliant programmers at Micro$#!% have done it again. Their network management tools, SMS, is a giant pile of manure. There's a bug in the SMS 2.0 code that builds the SMS registry key in Local_Machine that makes the key completely undeletable and unwritable.

So the next time a client logs into the domain and the logon script installs SMS automatically, the install creates several user names and profiles for them in 'Documents and Settings' (Win2k SP3). Well now, no big woop, right? Wrong!

Because the registry key unwritable, the SMS install fails, waits a few minutes and attempts a second install. Now that user profile for SMS gets rewritten, but this time as SMSCCSBootAcct.xxxxxx.yyy (where the X's are the host and Y's the folder/profile number). After about 2-3 days of this SMS manages to creat 200-500 of these folders, sucking up every last bit of space on the hard drive.

Solution ... there is none. M$ says the service pack for SMS 2.0 fixes it. It doesn't. Launch REGEDT32.EXE and try and change permissions...access denied! Launch REGEDT32.EXE using AT commands so you use SYSTEM priveleges...access denied!

I so %#@^%! hate Micro$#!% today!!! More so than normal.

Does anyone have any other genius ideas on how to get the SMS reg key out?

JAmmrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I wouldn't know anything about such things.... How about AmigaDos?
    Seriously, can't u simply give administrator rights to all users?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

2-3 lbs of C4 should do it

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Re: Farg'n M$ $M$ POS...

Originally posted by Jammrock
        Does anyone have any other genius ideas on how to get the SMS reg key out?
        I have, but it involves a large fireaxe and potentially voiding a warranty or two.

And now I come to think of it, I don't think it gets the key out, it just makes you feel better.
        Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Let's say you get hold of Windows PE from somewhere...

It can ignore NTFS permissions, and it might ignore Registry permissions if you open the hive with the regedt32 in PE.
          <font size="-4">User error:
          Replace user and try again.
          System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
          System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
          </font>

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
            2-3 lbs of C4 should do it
            Sorry, lost my license for heavy explosives.
            I have, but it involves a large fireaxe and potentially voiding a warranty or two.
            I prefer crowbars, but a fireaxe works nicely too.
            Let's say you get hold of Windows PE from somewhere...
            Windows PE?

Jammrock

Comment

I don't know if this helps with the "access denied" entries, but have you tried RegCleaner utility?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikko
                I don't know if this helps with the "access denied" entries, but have you tried RegCleaner utility?

http://www.webattack.com/get/regcleaner.shtml
                I've used RegCleaner before, it uses the logged in users rights to access the registry, so it wouldn't help afaik.

Of course, this makes me wonder ... M$ has apparently hidden a user mode that goes above and beyond SYSTEM and Administrator right. Makes you wonder what they'll be locking into the registry in the future.

Jammrock

Comment

Of course, this makes me wonder ... M$ has apparently hidden a user mode that goes above and beyond SYSTEM and Administrator right. Makes you wonder what they'll be locking into the registry in the future.

Jammrock
                  Thats worrying.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

WindowsPE is Windows xp on a bootable CD
                    You get vga res and a comandline window
                    see it as an recovery consol on steroids
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                      WindowsPE is Windows xp on a bootable CD
                      You get vga res and a comandline window
                      see it as an recovery consol on steroids
                      Very interesting. I'll see if I can get a copy of it somewhere.

Jammrock

Comment

That would be the NSA login
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I was thinking editing the hive file externaly while windows is not running...Don't know of any free tools to do this (yet) but here is a commmercial one

also
                          apparnetly there are some difference between regedit.exe and REGEDT32.EXE, in that REGEDT32.EXE allows you to change some values that regedit.exe can't

So try using REGEDT32.EXE instead

Just checked the above link to registrar allows you to use the full version for 21 days, so you should be able to grab your hive files, fix'em and restore before the it runs out
                          Last edited by Marshmallowman; 21 May 2003, 19:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                            That would be the NSA login
                            LOL
                            Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Please do post updates on this...

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Working...
                              X