About capturing resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About capturing resolution

Before i start i know that this topic has been discussed many times in the past, so one more time i want to believe it will not to be so boring to you. So here is the story.
    I want to convert my vhs/svhs recordings from my old camcorder to dvd and i'm considering the following options.

1. SVHS deck -> SONY TRV50 mini dv (for on the fly a/d conversion) -> firewire transfer to pc 720*576 res -> edit -> convert to mpg2 etc.

2. SVHS deck -> Mil II/RRS (yes it is still alive) 352*576 (at around 3.4:1 comp.ratio with doc's registry hack) -> Edit via Lan with the fast pc -> convert to mpg2 etc.

I remember F_D stating that sometimes is better to cap at full res and then resize to half in order to reduce noise.
    Any other option/idea ?
    Thanks
    Last edited by mits; 19 May 2003, 11:02.
    mits,
    System specs: primary : Asus P5B Dlx/Wifi, C2Duo E6600 with thermalright 120 and 120mm Scythe S-Flex
    model E, 2 Gb Ram Kingston HyperX PC6400, MSI RX1950Pro with ViVo, 2 * WD3200AAKS, Sound Blaster Audigy ES, NIC onborad, IEE1394 TI onboard, dvd-rw Nec/Sony Optiarc AD-7173A, dvd-rom Pioneer 106-s, Win XP SP2. Secondary : Asus P4B266-E, P4 2GHz (Northwood), ram 512 MB DDR400 , 2*80 Maxtor, vga asus 9600XT with vivo, sound card c-media 8738 onboard, NIC D-Link 538TX, dvd-rw sony dru500AX, cd-rw yamaha 2100E, Win2k SP4.

Although it takes a lot of disk space (temporarily) and takes 2 steps, I like option 1. I do this with my Sony MiniDV (NTSC). As Dr Mordrid points out, it leavesyou plenty of options before/at the encoding stage, including clean edits when necessary.

Comment

Hi,

I'd thought about using the A/D convertor on my Sony DCR-PC120E - I didn't fancy recording to digital tape then having to play it back out to capture it via Firewire.

Do you know if I can do this on mine - I've read the manual a few times, but don't remember whether you can...

How do you think the quality will compare with a PC-based analogue capture card - e.g. RT.X10?

Taliska
      Gigabyte GA-8KNXP, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 1Gbyte DDR400 RAM
      Matrox P750, Matrox RT.X10
      2x Maxtor 120G & 1x 300G SATA drives, Panasonic DVD-RAM drive
      Windows XP Pro, Premiere Pro 7.0

Comment

I seem to get a little better sound sync when I copy from SVHS to mini DV then transfer to computer via 1394/firewire. You also end up with a nice time track on your mini DV tapes for future captures of individual scenes.

Ted
        Premiere PRO XP Pro
        Asus P4s533
        P4-2.8
        Matrox G450
        RT.x100
        45 GIG System Drive
        120 Export Drive
        Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
        Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
        17" P4-3 HT
        1024 RAM
        32 MEG GForce
        60 GIG 7200RPM HD
        80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
        DVD RW/RAM

Comment

Or you can use an ad hoc analogue>DV converter such as the Canopus ADVC-100, which I've been doing for the best part of a year. Great piece of equipment and doesn't tie up a camcorder.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
            Or you can use an ad hoc analogue>DV converter such as the Canopus ADVC-100, which I've been doing for the best part of a year. Great piece of equipment and doesn't tie up a camcorder.
            Going to buy one of these devices as soon as I can afford one
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Taliska,

I have a PC110 (earlier model) and you can do passthrough (skipping tape) with mine. You got to dig through the menus for the setting to connect A in directly to D out. The capture is excellent. But you get over 12GB per hour of a DV compressed AVI and full 48KHz PCM (uncompressed) sound. These files are very editable. You can compress over night, not have to deal with whether your CPU is capable of MPEG on the fly.

Works best on XP where you don't have to worry about 4GB file size limitation.

Comment

Excellent news that being able to pass straight through.

I guess that together with an RT.X10 that there won't be any dropped frames as it wouldn't be able to rewind the tape!

Will just have to burrow into that manual again!

Cheers,

Taliska

Comment

Taliska,

Based on my PC110: Turn on the cam in "VCR MOde". Bring up the menu. Scroll down to "VCR Set" menu and select it. Scroll down to "A/V-->DV Out" and turn it ON. Exit.

(Your cam is a PAL, so mileage may vary.)

Now, whatever comes in through the A/V connector (analog) will get digitized and fed out through the Firewire.

I use Scenalyzer to capture. It can control the VCR (both with or without tape). http://www.scenalyzer.com/ It works so well for me that I have never even tried Premiere's capture.

Comment

bitz4brainz,
                    i also use scenalyzer that controls my TRV50 but when i connect my svhs vcr to feed the dv camcorder then scenalyzer still controls the camcorder and starts the tape in the camcorder, so in this case i resort to aviio with mainconcept's codec. I don't understand how scenalyzer can control the vcr. Can you give me a hint or something? I haven't tried it though without a tape in the camcorder.
                    mits,
                    System specs: primary : Asus P5B Dlx/Wifi, C2Duo E6600 with thermalright 120 and 120mm Scythe S-Flex
                    model E, 2 Gb Ram Kingston HyperX PC6400, MSI RX1950Pro with ViVo, 2 * WD3200AAKS, Sound Blaster Audigy ES, NIC onborad, IEE1394 TI onboard, dvd-rw Nec/Sony Optiarc AD-7173A, dvd-rom Pioneer 106-s, Win XP SP2. Secondary : Asus P4B266-E, P4 2GHz (Northwood), ram 512 MB DDR400 , 2*80 Maxtor, vga asus 9600XT with vivo, sound card c-media 8738 onboard, NIC D-Link 538TX, dvd-rw sony dru500AX, cd-rw yamaha 2100E, Win2k SP4.

Comment

I missspoke and badly.

1. I meant that Scenalyzer controls the camcorder in VCR mode.

2. You are right, there is nothing to control when there is no tape!

Late night postings...sheesh

Comment

Thanks for the info, will be armed now for when I buy my new PC that will have a Firewire port on it!

I don't have to convert many old tapes, but this will make it much easier and better by the sound of it.

Cheers,

Taliska

Comment

Working...
                        X