Whats the best way top connect to Novell Servers via RH 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best way top connect to Novell Servers via RH 9

At the moment we're playing with Novel which we downloaded from the web. So far we get the login box but then get an error which I think I can fix tomorrow. The machines at work so I can't tell you the exact message.
    However what alternatives are there for Linux?
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

what about just useing the built in kernel ipx support?, or am I missing something?

Comment

IPX is the thing of the past on our network. We use NDS logins with IP only.
      I've heard of an alternative method but I can't remember what it is??
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Its been a long time since I did any novel stuff on linux...at least 4 years.

Do you need to access novel shares from linux or do other machines(workstations) need to access the linux machine?

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
          Its been a long time since I did any novel stuff on linux...at least 4 years.

Do you need to access novel shares from linux or do other machines(workstations) need to access the linux machine?

It would be useful.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I'm bafled it seems that the ncpmount commands are missing. We've downloaded the ncpfs-2.2.1 rpm and installed that under root. This suggests we need to download something else but finding what has come up with a fat zero. Still looking though.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Seems that the rpms aren't installing properly. Strange.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Solved it with a help of a collegue who suggested running the rpm packages via a terminal window.
                This time we got an error message saying the another package was needed. Installed that the same way and then the other rpm.
                Bingo Novel client works.
                it seems that in the attempt to make the system more user friendly it hates error messages from the user.
                Sorry Linux you still suck.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yep. Linux sucks because you don't know how to use it. Seems logical!

Comment

Correction Linux sucks becuase it's not user friendly. I can remember the days when rpm's use to tell you when they needed other dependancies. Well it did under Mandrake dunno about Red Hat.
                    Still everything is running now.

I like how it also sets time randomly when you try and adjust it. Finally after twenty minutes and setting the time to updated by the redhat server it got it right.
                    Last edited by The PIT; 20 May 2003, 08:44.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Thanks for the info six of one.

By the way when I left work Redhat had decided it was midnight. Something very screwy with the install on that machine.

Now sometime I've got to find the driver for the Intel 1000 CT network card for my home machine. Whats the betting there isn't one.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

You can get linux to connect to other computers using any protocol...but it takes time.

And that is because the some vendors do not support linux, try getting windows to connect using something like appletalk. Blame novel for not producing a client for linux

Don't blame somone for provding something for free that the original that the company should have produced.

Comment

Err the problem wasn't with Novel it was the problem the way RH reported errors concerning rpm's.

So far with redhat on two identical machines two different people doing the install.

Graphical install crashed on one.
                          One Video card incorrectly identified on one machine while correctly on the other.
                          The Computer with the incorrectly identified card can change resolution while the one the other one can't.
                          Questionable rpm install.
                          Time on one machine cannot be reset correctly.
                          Pluses for RH is that smb worked first time while under mandrake it's really buggy. Reading a review of RH the same problems occured there.

When you look at it RH is doing a very good impression of a dodgy windows install. The only differance package installation under winblows is streets ahead.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                          X