Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticketing the wrong person.....

3 weeks ago I was in a minor accident.

I turned left out of our drive then signalled and turned left on the next corner, only to be hit in the left rear tire by a motorcycle sliding on its left side.

The "officer" taking the report didn't investigate the skid marks at all and believed the rider that my signal wasn't on; of course this was the only thing he could say to get out of a ticket himself. I got a ticket for not signalling a turn & causing the accident.

I set about measuring, photgraphing & videotaping the scene, doing skidmark & slide speed calculations, getting witnesses and getting his driving record using the Freedom of Information Act

He has two tickets on that bike in our town: 78 in a 45 and 65 in a 45. The calculus says this time he was doing 50 in a 25

When we had the conference with the prosecutor I laid down my case, whereupon he offered me a defective equipment "deal". No deal

Then the cop lays out how he's taken classes in accident investigation and snidely asks me if I have a degree in physics that supports my conclusions....

I say: "actually; I minored in physics and taught it for 10 years. How long have you taught physics officer, if at all?" His jaw dropped about a meter

5 minutes later we're in court, whereupon the judge looks at my data and says:

CASE DISMISSED; and why did this case even get to me??

Prosecutor and cop turn beet red....looking like they're getting ready to stroke out

Loved it

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 May 2003, 10:31.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

haha rock on!

congratulations.

the extreme measures we go to get out of tickets
    www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

woohoo

On the otherhand, how many $ did that waste??
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Not a cent other than the cost of photo paper and ink for the printer.

I used a digital camera and internet accident investigation resources for the formulae.

No lawyer; represented myself since I also took a few law classes

The witnesses were glad to help since this guy has been popping wheelies on residential streets & speeding like a jackrabbit; putting everyone in fear that he was going to hit a kid.

His bike: a Suzuki 750 cafe racer.

After the case was over another cop who was there incidentally asked for his info and schedule. He's planning on a little suprise for this guy

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 May 2003, 10:32.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

So his bike had already ditched before he hit you, and YOUR the one who got ticketed? Talk about lousy cops!

At least you embarassed him in front of the courts though. (Edit: the cop that is)
          Last edited by ZokesPro; 19 May 2003, 10:39.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

You're a dangerous adversary, Doc!

Kevin

Comment

next time someone takes me to jail. i know who to call
              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Doc
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Well you're lucky to find any witnesses. Here most people bugger off as quick as possible. Also judges here are so daft they would always believe the officer even if they said you car was doing 2000 mph.
                  Another thing that would worry me is that you're marking yourself up for the cops as someone to get even with.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzard[MPE]
                    next time someone takes me to jail. i know who to call
                    Next time!

Excellent work, Doc. That's one more victory for common sense against stupidity.

Comment

ROFLMAO!!!

HEaven forbid an educated person show up in court. I love justice.

Jammrock
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

HAHA! I agree, ROTFL! Way to go Doc!
                        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Good job, Doc.
                          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Re: Ticketing the wrong person.....

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                            ... using the Freedom of Information Act

Dr. Mordrid
                            I may be wrong, but isn't ironic that a "liberal" act helped you win a case

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                              ROFLMAO!!!

HEaven forbid an educated person show up in court. I love justice.

Jammrock
                              That's just it; they depend on inexperienced/fearful/uneducated people just giving up & paying the fines as a form of taxation absent representation.

If the number of people actually fighting tickets every reached anywhere close to 20% and they started marching around city hall this kind of behavior would change in a flash....or at least after the next election cycyle.

Not liking that BS method of revenue enhancement it set me off bigtime...and as Bruce Banner says:

"Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry"

Dr. Mordrid
                              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 May 2003, 11:36.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X