Recommend a joystick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a joystick

As per title. I am thinking of having a go with some flight sims, and would like to purchase a joystick. Any recommendations/tips?

Sidewinder Precision 2 is the only one recommended by a friend so far.

Does one use USB ports for joysticks these days? It's been a long time since I did any joystick gaming...

Thanks

Gnep
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

I'm also a fan of microsofts joysticks - if it wasn't for their stupid driver-managment. they decided to stop supporting the forcefeedback features of my (original) sidewinder force feedback pro under win2k (and upwards) after the second edition of the stick came out. shame on you, ms!

mfg
    wulfman
    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
    "Lobsters?"
    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

USB is the interface of choice today. I'd recommend getting a grip on different sticks. The best stick is the one that fits your hands best. The Saitek Cyborg sticks are customizable, for bigger or smaller hands, left or right hand operation, etc.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Cool. I see. Will probably get one from Tottenham Court Road in London anyway, so will be able to try them out (I have big hands, but am right handed...),

For e.g. IL2 Sturmovik, any particular buttons and stuff? (as I said, I haven't simmed or used a stick for years and years).

G

Comment

erm... I read something about a 'new' standard being proposed for joysticks and windows. I am under the impression that MS are encouraging a standard interface and button number/layout - something along the lines of the XBOX controller no doubt.
          I cant put my finger on where though..
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Is this likely to affect a purchase NOW for current games though?

Comment

I like my Sidewinder, but it didn't take very long before I could feel it starting to wear out. Next time, I'll probably get a Logitech.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

and I loved My sidewinder 3D Pro
                Sadly it developed "miniatyrus cablus disconectus" and had to be put down after the third time

Nowdays I have a Force feedback Pro (1) as Wulfman And I also think it's sad that they are not suporting it completely under W2k and upwards
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

OK so I take it that they still don't last very long... so I should get a USB jobby that does for now (with the right buttons) and replace when worn out?

Anything against the "Sidewinder 2 Precision"?

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                    OK so I take it that they still don't last very long... so I should get a USB jobby that does for now (with the right buttons) and replace when worn out?

one moment, doesn't last long? I have yet to see a force feedback pro failing, those last (from what I've seen/heard so far) forever. if it wasn't for the drivers - but they can still be used as a normal joystick, just FF is disabled.

mfg
                    wulfman
                    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                    "Lobsters?"
                    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

OK - it's just that the last time I used a joystick, the only ones I could afford would only last for about 4-6 months...

Comment

I have an older MS Sidewiner Precision PRO (Version 1)... no problem at all! Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP

My lasted sidewinder 3D Pro 5 years!!!

and the wire that broke was grossly under dimensinalised!!
                          I have checked in the Force feedback and there the wires are much thicker!
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Looks like it's going to be the sidewinder 2 precision then Thanks guys.

Comment

You know, I've avoided making naughty jokes so far, but if nobody else is gonna...

"I've got a joystick... right here, SWINGING!"

- Gurm
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X