Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shopping for notebook, What do I look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping for notebook, What do I look for?

What do I look for and look out for?
    What do you think of HPs?

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Depends on what you're looking for

Office apps, 3D games, DVD, CDR, weight/size, battery life, screen size, price, support, linux, mac?

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

HPs aren't bad, I'd consider Dell too. If you look around at the coupon sites, you can find some good rebate codes for Dell. Also, if you've got a Discover card and a little time, you can get $2 in Dell credits for every $1 cashback.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Just got back on when I realised that I didn't mention that

I will get a 54G linkup for our home network to surf the web & do word processing in the garden.
        Also WiFi on trips out of town.
        Enough graphics power to run QuakeWorld is enough for me

chuck
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

I suggest you look for Centrino based computer. This is the best portable solution for now. You get P4 perf with much more battery life (like 4 or 5 houres).

HP makes good laptop, also look at the Sony Centrino, it is great. Dell is usually very good too.
          System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Careful with Sony. They have awful warranties.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Have to say that I actualy advice against a AMD based laptop because they get so damn hot, since non of the manufactors seem to implement any of the powersaving functions
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Personally, I have had faultless reliability from Toshiba (tecras and Sattelites).

I cant say the same for Compaq/HP.

They arent the fast PC off the block, but since comming to this job, the toshes havent let me down (I have 2 demo boxes running Win 95!)

John J
                Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Intel Centrino or Pentium M based notebooks are either lightweight, or have great battery life, or both. Pentium M is the new intel mobile processor (codenamed Banias), which is fast, power saving, and expensive. Centrino is actually the combination of the Pentium M with an intel chipset, and WLAN chip (only 11 MBit, though!).

So you might want to get a Pentium M based laptop with a 54 Mbit WiFi adapter built in, but it'll not be cheap. Sony or Dell, or Samsung might be good.

Or, wait a little and buy a tablet PC. You can reverse their display, and tilt it back on the keyboard, so that you have a touchscreen.

You should tell us your priorities and price range

AZ

Comment

-Wieght
                    -Battery Life
                    -Screen size
                    -Noise (only become an issue in the last few years, but if you can get something silent or quiet, do it... no modding later with laptops...)

GFX chip (if you want to do any gaming, then look for the Radeon 9600 Mobility)

And yes, go for Intel over AMD for a laptop anyday.
                    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Re: Shopping for notebook, What do I look for?

Originally posted by cjolley
                      What do I look for and look out for?
                      What do you think of HPs?

Thanks,
                      Chuck
                      Before asking these questions, why don't you say what you want to do with it?

Is it work, play, both? Are you going to travel much, etc?

Otherwise, I agree that the Tosh is probably the safest bet. Their current models are way overpriced though.

Their tablet PC is also very tempting -if you really need it.

AMD notebooks are always problematic in my experience. Not because the chip is not valid but because manufacturers tend to use the cheapest parts -and that always creates trouble...

Comment

if your budget allows it, take a close look at IBM - if you want to keep the book for some years, you won't regret paying more in the beginning, as you will get every spare part (and astonishing service during warranty) for years.... the build quality (case, keyboard) is impressive.

mfg
                        wulfman
                        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                        "Lobsters?"
                        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Oh, BTW, support for business lines is usually WAY better than for consumer lines.

AZ

Comment

Hmm...
                            Much to think about.
                            This needs to be as cheap as possible considering the light use it will get.
                            On the other hand, all the cheap Intel based laptops seem to use Intel based graphics which have trouble even running quake 1, let alone anything newer.
                            I would rather get a separate 54G card so if the standards change, I can just change cards.
                            The only "must haves" I have come up with are:
                            1, 15" screen
                            2, 256m of ram
                            3, dvd player

Power saving is not much of a concern as we have eletricity on our patio and can use the cig lighter in the car.

They have an HP AMD 1700+ based laptop with Radeon graphics and a dvd/cdrw at Best Buy for $799 after rebates that I thought looked attractive.

How many think I should strongly avoid AMD?

Thanks,
                            Chuck
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

I do. (Avoid AMD that is) - power and heat being the main reasons. Intel are just further ahead in managing them as far as I can tell.
                              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                              X