Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlanetSide

Did anyone try this game yet?

The beta ends today, and I've played for about a week now. It's a very interesting mix between squad based FPS and MMORPG, and I like it a lot.

I'll definately get the game (although you need to pay a monthly fee of about 12-14 usd to play), and I now also need that much needed increase in CPU power as well, which I've been post-poning for so long (the game runs like shit on my P3 @ 966 + 9500 Pro).

Some screenshots:

Last edited by dZeus; 18 May 2003, 10:23.

Wow that game looks sweet, i hope it runs ok on the parhelia. I just ordered that card, and from reading the reviews it is kind of slow. I mainly want to play triple head games, hopefully it wont be a slide show...

Comment

Well, the Parhelia is not only a gaming card.

It is a pro/gaming/htpc/everything card, and it does all those things quite well, but not perfectly...

In any case, it is cheaper than just about all its competition in pro cards, comes with $700 worth of Autocad plugins, and looks to get only better in regards to pro apps...

Oh yeah, and Matrox cards don't depreciate nearly as fast...
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

btw, download movie with Captain Carnage from here.
        Hilarous!

Comment

It should run fine on the Parhelia tbh ..
          and it is a great game though the beta has finished now :/
          but the final game is being released this week So I cant wait to get my hands on it. I know I'm going to be a hacker/vehicle pilot

Comment

I am tempted to play, but I will wait until after my honeymoon before I try to get it . Somehow the wife to be will not be too enthused with me playing yet another MMOG after I played Ultima Online and Everquest. I was in the beta and I honestly think I would aim to be a hacker/adv medic/AMS with a touch of either sniper/heavy assault.
            The poster formerly known as "ahardjan"

Comment

I was in the Beta also with my Parhelia.

Performance was actually pretty impressive. The graphics ran fairly quickly with full graphic detail at 1024x768 with no FAA or anything. There were occasional graphical glitches, but those disappeared the closer it got to launch date.

Now, here's something that you might find interesting.

On the beta webboard, I asked if they would be testing support for the Parhelia during beta. I got a reply back from one of the devs (or just the webmaster) that they weren't going to support it because it required them to do too much extra work to getting working. I was of course, horrified and later angry when I realized that this sounded fishy as hell to me. I mean, its a DirectX game, and DX8 and DX9 recognize extended resolutions, so it should work without any extra programing. Maybe the FOV might be off or something, but ... whatever.

So, in a huff, I went and edited the Machine.ini file's width and height settings to 2400 and 800.

Guess what? It worked like a champion!

It was still smooth (with a slight performance hit) and everything scaled correctly, even the FOV as far as I could tell. The result was dramatic and I took several screenshots as well. I posted my findings on the board, hoping they would reconsider official support.

Is that the happy ending? No. Next day those damn bastards released a new update and changed the code in the core executable so that any change to the machine.ini file caused the game to lock on startup. So, here we have an intentional exclusion of the triple head technology.

Result? I ain't buying PlanetSide.
              Main PC
              Athlon XP 2500+ | GA-7N400-L | 1.0GB PC3200 | Radeon 9800XT & 9000 | SoundBlaster Audigy | TRIPLE 17" NEC 1760Vs!

Home Theater PC
              AthlonXP 2500+ | Chaintech 7NIL1 | 1024MB PC2700 | RADEON 9700 | SoundBlaster Audigy | Coolermaster ATC-610 HTPC Case | 61" Sony TV

Comment

What is up with Game designers removing P support? CMR3, Planetside. I think the P is losing it's only gaming advantage.
                "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

I'll never buuyy another EA game. Who knows what BEST feature they are gonna drop at will???

Comment

Ermmm...you should know before posting this in every thread that Planetside is Sony.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadAgain
                      I was in the Beta also with my Parhelia.

It was still smooth (with a slight performance hit) and everything scaled correctly, even the FOV as far as I could tell. The result was dramatic and I took several screenshots as well. I posted my findings on the board, hoping they would reconsider official support.

Result? I ain't buying PlanetSide.

Though I am not saying that you are not correct.... but as recent as yesterday people posted on the Planetside board that the surround gaming with the parhelia works...

JD.
                      Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

You are correct, sir!

R0M informed some of us about a week ago that Surround Gaming is enabled again in PlanetSide. I'm very happy with this ... I will certainly reconsider buying the game now.
                        Main PC
                        Athlon XP 2500+ | GA-7N400-L | 1.0GB PC3200 | Radeon 9800XT & 9000 | SoundBlaster Audigy | TRIPLE 17" NEC 1760Vs!

Home Theater PC
                        AthlonXP 2500+ | Chaintech 7NIL1 | 1024MB PC2700 | RADEON 9700 | SoundBlaster Audigy | Coolermaster ATC-610 HTPC Case | 61" Sony TV

Comment

Working...
                        X