Mozilla Firebird (Phoenix) 0.6 is out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Firebird (Phoenix) 0.6 is out

Faster and cooler than before, with some minor appearance changes too.

Info here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/fire...ase-notes.html
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

downloaded it, tested it....
    Result: not a slightest bit faster than "fatboy Mozilla"

conclusion: I'll continue to use old mozilla untill they are a bit more "done" with it
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
      Result: not a slightest bit faster than "fatboy Mozilla"
      Are you using Mozilla's quick start feature?
      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

nope
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I rechecked and OMG: phoenix is whopping 1 second faster

Big deal

Comment

Faster at what? It loads a hella lot faster on my system, and it sure as heck renders faster than IE does. It does appear that the memroy footprint has been increased though, thats kinda irritating.
            Oh well, I still prefer it to any other browser out there. It's also nice that they finally added an option to outright disable password saving and form autocompletion.

Ian
            Primary System:
            MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
            120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
            Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
            Seccondary System:
            Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
            3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
            Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
            Tertiary system
            Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
            Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Your machine is either unbelievably slow or totally f*cked up...

Phoenix is quite a bit faster for most everything than Mozilla.
              I do have Mozilla installed together with Phoenix, but only because of it's email client. And with the release of the seperate Thunderbird email client I guess I won't have to anymore in the future.
              But we named the *dog* Indiana...
              My System
              2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
              German ATI-forum

Comment

Or maybe Technoid system is too fast that there is not much difference in which case only people with slower machines benefit from the newer code?
                Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

I doubt it. If Mozilla is only a fraction slower than Firebird, something's fishy.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

woohoo! it's been a good while since I've been in here raving about Phoenix, 0.6 rocks
                    Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

okay, let me clarify:
                      Mozilla took 4 sec to start.
                      Phoenix took 3 seconds to start.
                      (and that is so small that it can easily become the same after a defrag)
                      pages renders/loads exactly the same.

I suspect that the reason that Phoenix loads faster for some is that it requires less memory (less than half of Moz )

BUT: i have 1024MB memory!!
                      That's probably why it don't seem to load any faster on mine

Comment

Doesn't even start on my work machine.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

What the spec on that machine?

Comment

C733 256mb of ram. Me thinks the win2k has had too uch software put on and off and needs a re-install.
                            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                              okay, let me clarify:
                              Mozilla took 4 sec to start.
                              Phoenix took 3 seconds to start.
                              (and that is so small that it can easily become the same after a defrag)
                              pages renders/loads exactly the same.
                              hmm ... I wouldn't exactly consider a speedup of 33% as small ...

Besides that: w00t !!!

thanx for the headup, Wombat !

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                              LG BH10LS38
                              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
                              X