Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention all SIS lowers!

Hmmm...could it be out finally?

p.s. the reason why I've spotted this is because miracolously ddr became here cheaper than sdr: 256mb ddr333 (cl 2,5) costs the same amount as the sdr (no name) equivalent! (imagine ddr266)
    So apparently it's good time to switch from kt133a - especially since I desperetaly need ram amount upgrade.
    But I don't see here ASRock based on sis748, only 746fx...is it somewhere else maybe already?
    btw, assuming that I'll choose to buy sis746fx, are there any reasons to go with MSI (not so cheap...but cheap nonethless )
    all this with AXP1700+ (Palomino) and ddr333 cl2,5 at 266 cl2 (will it run stable?).
    Last edited by Nowhere; 16 May 2003, 16:00.

Last check, unless you feel like doing some heavy hardware mods to the board, the MSI 746 ultra only has FSB O/C. Of course I did those heavy mods and it works a champ

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I don't care about overclocking.

more about stability
      besides Palomino is holding back little, when it comes to overclocking.

Comment

Well as for stability, I performed a 2 hour render of my wedding video (read CPU was more or less at full tilt) with my 2400+ running at 2700+ specs (slight voltage increase) without a problem.

Not a glitch mobo wise playing games, or anything else. I'm getting the same uptimes out of XP as I did with my ECS 745 based board ( > 28 days)

Last check the ECS 746 board comes with a memory card reader (at least here) so It might be worth looking at as a nice bonus.

Dan
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Palomino probably won't go very high above the standard 1467MHz (with silent air cooling)...but to check this I'd have to make some modifications for new mobo (or rather find someone to do it )
          overall, not worth the effort imho

anyway Sasq, I'm glad to hear that those boards are stable. Do you use some high priced/quality ram or the usual cheap one? (well, the other thing is that the "cheap" ram from Japan doesn't have many in common with cheap ram available here probably...)

Any experiences with ASRock? Anybody? (it is cheaper...I could have extra 128 mb - one 512 stick instead of 256+128)

p.s. and what do you think about this idea of running ddr333 cl2,5 at ddr266 cl2 speed?

Comment

Infineon RAM is very cheap here at the moment, and good quality!

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

atm I'm using cheap DDR333 no name (well there is one but not worth remembering) working fine. Of course my budget was limited at the time, if you can get better RAM (thinking of the future) I would recomend doing it.

Real Story was about $15 difference in the ram between no-name and samsung here. I just had zero spare $$$ at the time.

Dan
              Juu nin to iro

Comment

Running ddr333 cl2.5 at 266 cl2 should work, because the CAS latency would be 15 ns in both cases. However RAS to CAS delay and RAS precharge time are a little shorter at 266 when set to 2, than at 333 when set to 3 (15 vs. 18 ns). So you can definately run DDR333 2,5-3-3 at DDR266 2-3-3, maybe you can run it at DDR266 2-2-2, the latter more likely with quality brand name RAM than with no-name stuff of course.

Brand-name RAM pays, because your system might or might not be stable with cheap RAM, especially (but not only) when run out-of-spec.

When buying infineon RAM, you have to be careful: There are modules with infineon chips on them, which might or might not be good, and infineon modules with infineon chips on them, which should be excellent. The first variant is often called "infineonchip" or "infineon on 3rd", or just "infineon", the second variant "infineon on infineon" or "genuine infineon" or just "infineon". When in doubt, ask, and don't fall for infineonchip modules - those are often no-name sticks, because infineon sell chips, but also manufacture their own modules. A good chip on a lousy PCB makes a lousy module.

AZ

Comment

ASRock K7S8X-E is announced on ASRock's site. It is 748 based.
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Well, here 512MB of Corsair XMS 2700 2-2-2costs about as much as 2x256 Micron PC133 CAS2 did a year ago.

Comment

FYI: Asrock is ASUS's new OEM unit.

Originally posted by DentyCracker
                      ASRock K7S8X-E is announced on ASRock's site. It is 748 based.
                      Yup....it says right here;

CPU Socket 462 , supporting AMD Athlon, Athlon XP, Duron
                      FSB 400/333/266/200 MHz

Chipset SiS 748
                      Memory DDR
                      1 DDR400/Max.1GB
                      2 DDR333/Max.2GB
                      3 DDR266/Max.3GB
                      3 DDR200/Max.3GB
                      Slots AGP 1, AGP 8X 1.5Volt
                      PCI 6 slots, PCI 2.2
                      Works for me

Dr. Mordrid
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 May 2003, 12:46.
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

well, I've pointed to this, but the real question is (for me - read: here) when it's gonna be available?
                        Is it somewhere already? Or is this just a paper launch?

p.s. since ASRock is Asus division...is it Asus quality/stability? (overclocking/max possible performance - I don't care)
                        Last edited by Nowhere; 17 May 2003, 13:48.

Comment

Nowhere: what's your budget and what can you keep from your current rig?

Comment

as low as possible
                            and I'm keeping everything what's possible

basically I'm doing just a massive ram upgrade - but since ddr's are much cheaper than sdr's now, I think it's best to buy ddr's with new mobo.

Comment

Yes it is. You should consider buying in germany.

AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X