Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC133 SDRAM @ 100MHz FSB

Greets,

I have a BX system with noname PC133 RAM. I was wondering if it would be safe to set the CAS timing to 2 instead of 3 if I'm only running a 100MHz frontside bus and would doing so increase performance noticeably?

Also, since I assume that even noname PC133 RAM is overspec for a BX system @ 100FSB, is there any significant advantage to buying name-brand CAS2 RAM if I'm not planning to overclock?

Thanks,

Frank
    Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

The only risk u have by putting it in CAS2 will be system instability...though in this case the risk is minimal. Performance will increase, quite noticeably. At this point in time it's pointless to buy more SDRAM, just get the most out of your current setup and upgrade later.
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

It _should_ be fine. There is rare lousy PC133 CL3 that won't do CL2 at PC100 speeds, but for the most part you'll be safe. Just try it, and then run a Sandra memory test for a couple hours. If it locks up or something, undo it.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

One cycle at 100 MHz is 10 ns, one cycle at 133 MHz is 7.5 ns - thus, three cycles CAS Latency at 133 MHz is 22.5 ns, and two cycles CAS Latency at 100 MHz is 20 ns. A small difference that should be within the safety margin of a PC133 RAM stick (except for a few very bad ones).

It generally does pay to buy brand name RAM, but as Lecter said, I wouldn't invest much more money into your current system, instead save it and buy a new one

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

WHoa! Deja vu. A glitch in the Matrix. There must be agents nearby. Run!

Comment

Sorry, there's a wall now...

AZ

Comment

Walls is what you got Bazookas for
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Hey, this isn't Geo-Mod

AZ

Comment

I recommend memtest86 (google for it).

Generally it should run at 100 CAS2. Although I have a stick of LG PC100CAS3 that does 133CAS3 but no 100CAS2.

Running 2x256 7ns Micron PC133CAS2@133CAS2 on BX.

Comment

Thank you all, I'll give it a go!

BTW Az, I have a friend who lives in Bielefeld. I'm Australian but I've had the pleasure of meeting and befriending many exchange students at uni.

So it is a small world after-all, although I wouldn't want to paint it
                    Last edited by Frank Marshall; 15 May 2003, 17:28.
                    Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

Actually I don't come from Bielefeld, but from Berlin. Maybe I'll start studying at uni next year

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by az

Actually I don't come from Bielefeld, but from Berlin. Maybe I'll start studying at uni next year

AZ
                        In Bielefeld? Why would you do that? Hope you like rain

Comment

If you're serious about going to uni around there and are looking at studying business, the world just got even smaller
                          Last edited by Frank Marshall; 16 May 2003, 19:47.

Comment

Hehe

Topha, because my girlfriend lives here, and yes, I do like rain (one of the best things about this city is the weather )

AZ

Comment

Working...
                            X