ADSL + VPN + dynamic IP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADSL + VPN + dynamic IP

I'm looking for a cost-effective solution to put two computers on a network through 2 ADSL lines with dynamic IP. One of them is connected on a linksys BEFSR11 v.2 router. Should I put a PC (WinXP Pro) on a DMZ with its incoming VPN connexion configured (knowing I need it to stay connected to the rest of the network) or will it work with the VPN pass-through? What of the dynamic IP? Shall I use dyndns or sth similar?

I'm worried this setup isn't exactly safe and I wouldn't want to put private data on the web. Maybe there's a Linux solution out there?

I'd be wary of putting any PC on the DMZ unless you have to.

I beleive there was an issue with Linksys routers and VPNs. You had to either buy a model that had VPN compatibility or do some settings in the onboard firewall.
    The specifics escape me and I may be way off anyway, but its probably worth Googling for it.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Smoothwall

do a search here.

it can be configured to work with no-ip.com, and to work with a VPN
      Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

VPN pass through on the Linksys works fine if it's the client behind the router, I haven't tried with a server behind one so I can't comment. You could use 2 x Linksys BESVP41's for a hardware VPN solution or one Linksys BESVP41 and SSH Sentinel for a hardware/software solution. I've even got a Draytek Vigor 2600 and Linksys BESVP41 to talk to each other
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Plenty of router firewalls offer VPN, both hardware and software.

My d-link 804 does....amongst others

but if you want cheap, I aggree with Red, every one is raving about smoothwall

Comment

Whoohoo! Someone agreed with me on General HW/SW!

RedRed
            Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
              VPN pass through on the Linksys works fine if it's the client behind the router, I haven't tried with a server behind one so I can't comment. You could use 2 x Linksys BESVP41's for a hardware VPN solution or one Linksys BESVP41 and SSH Sentinel for a hardware/software solution. I've even got a Draytek Vigor 2600 and Linksys BESVP41 to talk to each other
              Linksys looks good...I was also thinking about smoothwall but I need to get a better working knowledge with it...

@all: Thx for the answers

Comment

Working...
              X