Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with HighPoint SATA Raid experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with HighPoint SATA Raid experience?

Well, I have about $400 to spend of collected Birthday money.
    So I thought I might go HardDrive Zoot and get two WD Raptors and an SATA Raid controler.
    I am thinking about the HighPoint.
    Any one out there who has one?
    What do you think?
    I have had both Promise and HighPoint controlers and I think the HPs have much better software.
    But I don't know anything about the SATA card specificaly.
    TIA
    Chuck

PS We are talking Raid 0 of course.
    Last edited by cjolley; 14 May 2003, 06:57.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

NFI about Highpoint SATA, I dont let nightmares into my machine :P
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
      NFI about Highpoint SATA, I dont let nightmares into my machine :P
      What card did you have?

chuck
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

no one in my machine as stated, but i truble shooted enough highpoints on customers computers to know that untill they release a card that some other dardevil tested and found ok I'll avoid them

Edit: spleleing
        Last edited by Technoid; 14 May 2003, 08:22.
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Highpoint = SATAN.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

the other day I was talking to Tyan's tech support about having problems with my Promise IDE RAID controller and they suggest to use http://www.3ware.com/ controllers, since they never had any problems with those, but all other manufacturers.

Dunno how reliable this hear-say might be, but maybe you could look into those as well ?
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
            LG BH10LS38
            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              Highpoint = SATAN.

- Gurm
              Yeah. that would be a nightmare to have in ones computer

Comment

3Ware controllers of the past have inexplicably "lost" arrays...

The HPT SATA controllers I have seen have been pretty solid. But then again I have only seen one in actual use, and that was with a pair of SATA to EIDE Adapters on WD HDDs.

My HPT370 IDE RAID controller has been flawless for nearly three years. Win9x, Win2K and now XP: the drivers have been stable, there have been no lost arrays or corruption and the BIOS releases have been impressive. I have used my HPT 370 exclusively on Intel chipsets, which is probably why my problems have been non-existant.

Promise has a couple of SATA controllers out already.
                Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by Maggi
                  the other day I was talking to Tyan's tech support about having problems with my Promise IDE RAID controller and they suggest to use http://www.3ware.com/ controllers, since they never had any problems with those, but all other manufacturers.

Dunno how reliable this hear-say might be, but maybe you could look into those as well ?
                  At $345 on price watch for the Escalade 8500-4, that would only leave me $55 to buy the drives with.

chuck
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Question is why do you want raid? Speed/performance or data integrity or both. Given your initial budget you can achieve a higher performance and data protection RAID 5 with a SCSI solution.

LSI Logic MegaRAID Express 500 Ultra160 SCSI RAID $359 at googlegear.com

three 18 GB 68 pin ultra 160 drives $90 - $110 each from various manufacturers (total storage capacity is double as the third drive is for parity info/data integrity. Initial starting $644 - $704

It is fast and reliable. If your budget allows you can size the array with bigger drives like 1 additional 18gb for 54gb. no matter how many drives only 1 worth of capacity is dedicated for data integrity.

Since this is to be a PCI bus based solution IMHO the xfer speeds of SATA are more than offset by a SCSI hardware solution.
                    Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

To replace my old 40gig maxtor (don't know the model) system drive.

Some time ago my 2 60gig GXPs were relegated to a mirror set on a promise TX2 after thier second replacement due to failure.
                      (this set is shared with my wife for general file storage & backup.)

The setup would be 2 drive raid 0:

HP 1520 controler = $61
                      2x WD360GB = $314
                      Shipping = Free
                      Total = $375

Chuck
                      Last edited by cjolley; 14 May 2003, 10:39.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                        Highpoint = SATAN.

- Gurm
                        Yes, but sometimes I like to dance with the devil in the pale moon light.
                        chuck
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

What are you doing that requires massive sequential transfer rate ? RAID 0 usually makes no sense for 'normal' users and gives you a higher risk of losing your data.
                          "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Chuck,

That's the "handsome yet dangerous fella" devil. I'm talking the "Lord of the Flies" devil. Beelzebub. The hideous gnawing demon. That one.

- Gurm
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                            X