Portable PlayStation (PSP) announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable PlayStation (PSP) announced

Yes yes yes ... I know that this should technically go in Gen H/S, but most gaming console news ends up here.

Sony announced that they will release the PSP in the 2004 holiday season to directly compete with the Gameboy Advanced/SP. It's tricked out with extra goodies like a memory stick slot for game saves and presumibly MP3 playing abailities, USB 2.0 port, backlit screen, rechargable batteries and a few other odds and ends.

There are also various other PS2 upgrades and news in the article as well. I'm sure most of the gamer sites will have articles about it up soon.

The big question is, can Sony beat the titan of consoles twice? Holiday 2004 gives Nintendo a lot of time to release an upgraded Gameboy...

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

As loong as it is resonably priced and has good games I think it has a chance
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I've been waiting a long time for a real powered handheld. The Atari Lynx & Sega Game Gear were the most powerful handhelds on the market for close to 12 years. Nintendo has been holding back the market...

Comment

Nintendo has been holding back the market because ... the Gameboy was durable, could be abused by 5-year-olds, ran forever on a set of AA's, and had simple fun games that kids liked.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

hand held gammers around the world will rejoice! I personaly know about 30 guys that will rush out and get this thing or gravel to their parents hoping to get it as a christmas present. sounds liek they got them selves a nice trump card for nintendo to have to counter...

~Sethos
          "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

It pretty much comes down to the games, as long as they keep up the good games then it shouldn't have much problems selling.
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I agree with what Gurm says
              The "contenders" was to easy to beat into pulp, the games sucked (what was the meaning with million of colors and stuff if it still locked like crap compared to a gb and was a ripoff of a really bad C64 game?), the Price!!!! the others was usualy double ot trice as expensive and the games was nowhere to get
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Well there was also the NeoGeo Pocket, I'm not sure why it failed, but it was better than the Game Boy Color and I think it's on par with the GBA. The games were great, Sonic was fun (and on Game Gear too), Metal Slug was great, and there were other old Neo games for it.

Game Gear was giant and ate power, same with the Lynx. But they both had great games, I think anyway...

I think my GG has stood through a lot of abuse during the years, and the Lynx II I have works pretty well. The Neo was great until it got stuck inside a recliner...

Comment

Technoid: But I don't think Sony will release all bad games for it...

I can't wait to see it...

Comment

@bsdgeek: Do you know of any online stores that sell GG games? I recently acquired one for dirt cheap and I only have 3 games.

THE only game I REALLY want is DRAGON CRYSTAL.

I want it so bad!!!!

Comment

Zokes: I usually just get games on Ebay, they sell really cheap and shipping to Canada can't be that bad.

Comment

OMG!! I found it for dirt cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                          Technoid: But I don't think Sony will release all bad games for it...

I can't wait to see it...
                          I thought they where doing ports of the PS2 games for it on mini-discs?
                          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Ahh... my good old game gear Sonic kick ass, along with a load of other games. The graphics was nice because of its backlit...

Meanwhile, I still think GBA is worse than Game Gear, even though Game Gear was launched like 10 years ago lol... I can't stand GBA's screen... its impossible to see under sun light...

The GBA SP looks promising so far, but I am not going to trust Nintendo anymore... SNES was great, N64 sucks, GBA was crap... lol...

Therefore, sony all the way

I should have got PS instead of N64 back in the days. It was the worse purchase I have ever made. I am still very happy with my PS2, because of the amount of RPGs they have on it... I am a fan of games from Squaresoft (but I don't like the idea of FF11 or FFX2), Xenogears, Xenosaga, Chrono Cross etc...

Speaking of Chrono Cross, I still think Chrono Trigger was the best... and I can't wait for the next one to come out

Comment

I was never into RPGs much, or the SNES for that matter. I always preferred the FPSs on my Jaguar. The GBA SP is what the GBA should have been. We had backlights in 1989, geez.

GT98: I don't think it's PS2 level hardware. Maybe I'm wrong, but I saw some specs somewhere. It looked to be like a PS1.5...

Comment

Working...
                              X