A "Novel" Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A "Novel" Experience

I just had to write a little note here about something that profoundly... effected me.

Nota Bene: I'll mostly likely be expanding this for one of my first blog-style rants on "The Flamethrower". But you get it first, 'cuz I like y'all SO MUCH! Isn't that nifty spiffy-keen?

-----------------------

So as many of you know, one of my favorite authors of all time is David Eddings. He has been as influential on my style and interpretation of modern fiction as Adams or Tolkien (only because he has written so damn much more than Tolkien).

His latest novel with his wife Leigh is entitled Regina's Song, and in it he explores the secret world of identical twins. As many of you are probably aware, there has been substantial research in recent years (and in much of the 20th century, in fact) into the "unusual" phenomena displayed by twins.

Virtually all identical multiple birth persons - be they twins, triplets, quints, etc. - develop a "secret language", or cryptolalia. The interesting part of this is that they develop this language long before they learn to speak whatever language their parents speak. The secret language of twins, if observed over a long enough period of time, can usually be deciphered. The secret language of quintuplets can probably never be deciphered, and if it could the grammar rules alone would fill 3 medium-sized textbooks.

Additionally, many twins and triplets have displayed what many would term "extrasensory perception". They can often tell what has happened to the other twin even when separated by distance, pick up the phone before it rings when calling one another, etc.

In most sets of identical twins, the secret language and "weird stuff" all fades away by the time they hit high school, due to puberty and adolescence and their attempt to find individuality. However, there are extraordinary sets of twins or triplets who are SO identical, and SO bonded, that their antics continue well past that period.

------------------------

Enter Mr. Eddings - who has long displayed a fascination with the topic, as sets of psychic twins pop up in much of his fiction as ancillary characters.

Regina's Song is about identical twins Regina and Renata - so identical that nobody including their parents can tell them apart... so identical that they can't even tell each OTHER apart, it turns out.

One of them is brutally raped and murdered, and the other witnesses at least part of it, and when everyone finds her she's babbling in twin-speak and incoherent. The first words she utters in the asylum when she "recovers" are "where am I, and who am I?" which everyone assumes means that she has amnesia...

Well, she gets steadily better after seeing an old family friend, and they let her loose after a couple years, but she has bad days and nightmares... and they seem to always happen the day after a brutal murder...

You can probably see where this is going, and I don't want to give anything away. All this information is readily available on the dust jacket or the liner notes.

---------------

I just wanted to say that, like everything else Eddings has written, every character in this book keeps up extremely realistic banter/dialogue with the other characters. This is one of the trademarks of Eddings' writing - the characters all speak and interact in an extremely realistic manner. You immediately identify with the main character (the family friend, Mark) and everyone else. You recognise people you've met, or people you THINK you've met. That's one thing Eddings is extremely good at.

However, UNLIKE much of his other writing, this book is dark. You almost forget that it's very dark, because the day-to-day interaction of the characters is not particularly dark or "foreboding". But that's realistic. Unlike a horror movie, people really wouldn't have any idea what was going on. There is no evil supernatural force that has taken over the world, or even Seattle.

At any rate, a few parts REALLY creeped me out, and one or two passages made me jump out of my skin.

It's NOT a fantasy story, although there are one or two quiet leaps of faith involved.

I know this isn't the same as saying "go watch Equilibrium", which only sucks up 2 hours of your time. I know full well that I read faster than most, and it took ME a couple days of spare time to plow through this novel. But it's worth it, and I highly recommend it. I wish I could go on more, but I'd be giving something away. Let's just say that you'll end up thinking an awful lot, and having your head flipped out more than a little.

Ok, I'm done. Rant mode off.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

I'm interested
    I'll see if I can find it in my bookshop
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'm an identical twin, do you think it's safe for me to read it

Dave
      Don't make me angry...

Comment

I'll add it to my 10 mile long list of things to read.

Finish what's written of the Wheel of Time series.
        Dune.
        Read the rest of the Ender books.
        Read the rest of the Alvin series by Card.
        Foundation series by Asimov.
        The last 3 Dark Tower book by Stephen King will be out by the time I get those done.
        I'd like to read the rest of the Shanara book by Brooks.
        Then there are the classics...

I'll never catch up.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Jamm... I figure there's always time for Eddings. Certain authors, when a new book hits it just bubbles to the top of my waiting list. Eddings, Gibson... used to be McAffery, but not any more.

As for the Alvin maker series, don't get in a hurry - it's way far from done, Card has written himself into a corner, admits it in the preface to the latest book, and has no idea when he'll bother writing another one, since he's kinda tied up with the Ender Shadow series.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

And Dave... yeah it ought to be ok. It wasn't creepy in a "gee I hope that never happens to me way" as much as in a "freaky!" kind of way. I know that sounds stupid but I really don't want to reveal the plot.

- Gurm

Comment

Ok this sounds like a very interesting book...and yes I too have a nice long list of books that I want to read too...this is the bane of school you must read for school not having time for personal reading this might just shoot to the top of my list though...is this a new book, like in book stores only or is it old enough to be in libraries do you think??

~Sethos
              "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

I picked up a paperback recently. It was released last year.

- Gurm

Comment

aha, then It might even have reached my backwater country
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I thought ok, I'll bite. I went to amazon to search for it, and up popped a window saying 'register now to receive a £3 gift voucher' and as I was prolly gonna order anyway I thought 'why not?'.

Now they've lost a customer. They insist on taking your credit card details to register - even before you've started shopping.

I'll find it elsewhere. Thanks for the recommendation.

T.
                    FT.

Comment

Awesome, it'll prolly be in the libs by now then and if not then it'll be cheap hopefully...

~Sethos
                      "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Andrews
                        I thought ok, I'll bite. I went to amazon to search for it, and up popped a window saying 'register now to receive a £3 gift voucher' and as I was prolly gonna order anyway I thought 'why not?'.

Now they've lost a customer. They insist on taking your credit card details to register - even before you've started shopping.

I'll find it elsewhere. Thanks for the recommendation.

T.
                        Yeah amazon has gotten weird - and in REALLY unpredictable ways.

For example, one day I went to sign up and they wanted ALL this information, and verification, and whatnot... and after 10-15 minutes of crap I said "screw this" and logged out.

Next time I went, from a different machine no less... 2 minutes and I was registered and my purchase was made.

Weird! Amazon is definitely in need of a serious overhaul.

- Gurm

Comment

Maybe you caught them in the middle of a serious overhaul.

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Just being browsing there and nothing popped up at all. Perhaps it's norton's stopping the rubbish.
                            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Was discussing this novel with my brother yesterday...

We both agreed that, of all the Eddings novels, this one would make an EXCELLENT movie (thriller/suspense of course) and could survive the book-to-movie transition almost unchanged.

-----------------

Another note to those that have decided to read it:

When I got to one of the creepy parts with wolves howling and whatnot, it was a dark afternoon, and some kids outside our apartment in the little wooded area had decided to make weird animal noises at EXACTLY the moment that the book got really scary.

Nearly jumped out of my f***ing skin, lemme tell ya.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                              X