No announcement yet.

Following the heels of 5900, the 5600?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following the heels of 5900, the 5600?

I have just jumped ship to a nice 3DForce GeForceFX 5600 Ultra.

I must say, I am quite impressed with this 190 dollar card. (256MB)

In the 3dmark 03 scenes it scores 28-31 and then 35 in the nature scene.

W/Unreal 2 at 1280x1024 w/4xFSAA and 4x anisotropic it gets an avg of 32 through the demo.

The 2D is a far cry from where the 9700 and GeForce4 series are.

It beats out ATI's, and comes quite close to Matrox's. When I hook up a DVI monitor to it, I'd say it nudges just a hair ahead of matrox.

So, better quality, better speed, better drivers, better dual display. There is only one thing the Parhelia has, and that's triplehead. But given the performance and playability in the Doom3 alpha on it vs the Parhelia, Matrox is a serious loser.

Pitou better get out the door soon. Parhelia's just a triplehead card with no purpose.

Triplehead on UT2k3 is kind of a joke due to the low resolutions you need to go to get it playable, and by then the "image quality" aspect of the Parhelia is a joke.

Pixellated triplehead is just not as good as clean fast crisp singlehead.

You have to use a shotgun because you certainly can't snipe in triplehead.

Whereas, on this sub 200 dollar video card with roughly 3x the performance annihilates every selling point at a lower price except triplehead. Which to be perfectly honest, I would rather buy a GeForce2 PCI card, and then run triplehead desktop through that if I need triplehead that bad, would be faster anyway.

Btw, this cheap A$$ card has pixelshader 2.0, and costs alot less......that post by Vigilante on the hardware engineer throwing a dart at the board really makes alot of sense for why Matrox has what it has out right now.
    I am the 1 and the 0, the bit and the byte.
    No computer is unbendable to my will, as hacking is not so much skill as psychology. Much like the lawmaker and the money that drives him to do as anyone would wish with it.

I always thought FX would be promising...

Do you mind telling us which brand it is?

edit: I dunno if I should wait for Pitou anymore.... (G550 user )

I may grab one of those Asus 9600 Video Suites with DualDVI, or a Radeon 9500PRO if I can get it cheap...
    Last edited by Chrono_Wanderer; 13 May 2003, 20:40.

Comment

Brand is Jaton.

I was worried how the output would be since it was one of those "unheard" of brands.

It turned out to be quite nice. Btw, it's faster than the 9600.

I have been very pleased w/this board. I go right in between Linux and XP no problem, the Linux support is very robust.

I am just happy to have a board that outperforms the 9600 and fits within my budget very comfortably.

ATI realizes this too, but I think the 9600 will come up in speed with drivers. I don't think their color will be as good though.

But the GFFX architecture really proves its worth in the middle sector of graphics. It's a hell of a deal for decent DX9 performance. nVidia's 5900 won't last long as king though, R400 is right around the corner.

That sucker taped out months ago. But then again, ever since the debut of the GF2 GTS, I will never shell out more than 250 for a video card ever again. The 400+ video cards will never find their way into my system.

Good thing I never paid for my Parhelia, I'd feel ripped off if I had.
      I am the 1 and the 0, the bit and the byte.
      No computer is unbendable to my will, as hacking is not so much skill as psychology. Much like the lawmaker and the money that drives him to do as anyone would wish with it.

Comment

I have tried a 256 meg FX 5600

I can tell you I have tried a 5600. I had to take the card back due to what I considered bad performance. My 9500 ( also ti 4200)beat the card in everything except doom 3 alpha (splinter cell to but not much better ). The one I tried was made by BFG. games I play are U2, UT, UT2K3, NOLF2, MOHAA, 2D improved over my ti 4200 but Personally I think 9500 is better (subjective you know). Just an other opinion based on my experience. personally I say stay away from 5600. soon you will be able to get a 9700 for same price.

Comment

I am comparing it with my G550. haha j/k

Comment

Re: Following the heels of 5900, the 5600?

Originally posted by DedicatedFan3D
            When I hook up a DVI monitor to it, I'd say it nudges just a hair ahead of matrox.
            Which makes no sense at all. You saw what you wanted to see. Digital is digital, there's no signal quality to mess with.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

LOL yea... shouldn't have a difference... digital is just digital... just 2 states... no signal degeneration and stuff...

unless... your power supply is half dead, making 0s into 1s... which is not a good thing IMO

Comment

Does the 5600 have a feature like DVDmax and how is the TV-out quality?

Thx,
                Cartman
                main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Re: Following the heels of 5900, the 5600?

Originally posted by DedicatedFan3D
                  I have just jumped ship to a nice 3DForce GeForceFX 5600 Ultra.

I must say, I am quite impressed with this 190 dollar card. (256MB)

In the 3dmark 03 scenes it scores 28-31 and then 35 in the nature scene.

W/Unreal 2 at 1280x1024 w/4xFSAA and 4x anisotropic it gets an avg of 32 through the demo.

The 2D is a far cry from where the 9700 and GeForce4 series are.

It beats out ATI's, and comes quite close to Matrox's. When I hook up a DVI monitor to it, I'd say it nudges just a hair ahead of matrox.

So, better quality, better speed, better drivers, better dual display. There is only one thing the Parhelia has, and that's triplehead. But given the performance and playability in the Doom3 alpha on it vs the Parhelia, Matrox is a serious loser.

Pitou better get out the door soon. Parhelia's just a triplehead card with no purpose.

Triplehead on UT2k3 is kind of a joke due to the low resolutions you need to go to get it playable, and by then the "image quality" aspect of the Parhelia is a joke.

Pixellated triplehead is just not as good as clean fast crisp singlehead.

You have to use a shotgun because you certainly can't snipe in triplehead.

Whereas, on this sub 200 dollar video card with roughly 3x the performance annihilates every selling point at a lower price except triplehead. Which to be perfectly honest, I would rather buy a GeForce2 PCI card, and then run triplehead desktop through that if I need triplehead that bad, would be faster anyway.

Btw, this cheap A$$ card has pixelshader 2.0, and costs alot less......that post by Vigilante on the hardware engineer throwing a dart at the board really makes alot of sense for why Matrox has what it has out right now.
                  is this the same 5600 Ultra we're talking about as the one that has been made fool of by reviewers because of pathetic FSAA quality, and is beaten in framerate by the GF4 4200 easily in most games?

Comment

no its the magical one on sterioids :P

We see the FX5600-VTDR128 at first falling a little behind the GeForce 4 Ti 4200, then at higher resolutions the 5600 picks it up and beats out the Ti 4200 by around 2 frames per second in 1280x1024x32
                    wow 2 frames
                    Last edited by Technoid; 14 May 2003, 05:50.
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

So this is the NV30 you speak of? How's the dB level?

Comment

I believe it's the NV31, not NV30. It won't have the dustbuster, but tha stock fan may be loud regardless.

Comment

BLIND. You are BLIND.

The 2D quality is CRAP.

- Gurm
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

nonononon, he's not blind
                              He's using his shades when he's in front of his monitor
                              Just look at his av

fixed a smilie
                              Last edited by Technoid; 14 May 2003, 07:02.

Comment

Working...
                              X