Windows XP disables my DMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP disables my DMA

Windows XP reset my UDMA-5 capable HD to PIO mode!

How dare it? CPU utilizations is up sky high when copying or accessing data, and its slow as heck. Couldnt search this page for similar topic, since both PIO and DMA is to short to search for

Same thing happened to my DVD a while back, but thats giving up on me anyway. I dont think my HD is, though, otherwise S.M.A.R.T. would have warned me, wouldnt it?

After some research on the web I found out that XP seems to do this, when it encounters to many read timeouts/errors etc, and there is no way to enable it again. Is that true? Is my HD really dying on me?

If there is some other possibility, please let me know, if not I guess I'll have to face the fact that I will be even poorer in a few weeks

Re: Windows XP disables my DMA

Originally posted by Topha
    Windows XP reset my UDMA-5 capable HD to PIO mode!

How dare it? CPU utilizations is up sky high when copying or accessing data, and its slow as heck. Couldnt search this page for similar topic, since both PIO and DMA is to short to search for

Same thing happened to my DVD a while back, but thats giving up on me anyway. I dont think my HD is, though, otherwise S.M.A.R.T. would have warned me, wouldnt it?
    SMART is pretty stupid, so it might not chirp at all, or scream as hell 10 min before it dies
    After some research on the web I found out that XP seems to do this, when it encounters to many read timeouts/errors etc, and there is no way to enable it again. Is that true? Is my HD really dying on me?
    1. NFI, woulden't surprice me tho
    2. see number 1
    3. Id check it out with the apropriate tools, the manufactor aught to ahe some for fre download
    If there is some other possibility, please let me know, if not I guess I'll have to face the fact that I will be even poorer in a few weeks
    Bad cable?
    Something else on the cable?
    is the cable seated correctly?
    Is the cable posibly going past one of those evil magnetic PC speakers?
    Is the drive within its heat requirments?
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Try this.

If that does not work, what is you Motherboard hard drive controller chipset?

Comment

Thats what I tried first (when HD seemed way to slow), but the thing is that it wont change back. Ill try some HD diagnostic tool

Comment

The following has been suggested by many people over on Pinnacle and has solved their hassle:

With Windows running, go into device manager and delete the IDE controller. Shut down. Switch on PC and the controller will be detected and drivers will be installed. Reboot as instructed, and confirm DMA settings for each device.
          Lawrence

Comment

Re: Re: Windows XP disables my DMA

Originally posted by Technoid
            SMART is pretty stupid, so it might not chirp at all, or scream as hell 10 min before it dies
            Perhaps, but it did help me back up a lot of data when my Quantum 10K died on me... Only problem was getting Windows to boot from that drive before I could access my files...

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Windows XP disables my DMA

Originally posted by VJ
              Perhaps, but it did help me back up a lot of data when my Quantum 10K died on me... Only problem was getting Windows to boot from that drive before I could access my files...

Jörg
              hm ..was that a SCSI drive?
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I had the same problem a while ago, and someone here gave me the answer

Just go to device manager and select PIO. Reboot. Now, select DMA, and reboot. Everything should be fine now.

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I've had some IDE devices that will only work in DMA mode under XP if you use CS on the drive jumpers. Of course then you have to make sure you use the correct connector on your ribbon cable which can sometimes be a pain.

HTH

T.
                  FT.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Windows XP disables my DMA

Originally posted by Technoid
                    hm ..was that a SCSI drive?
                    Yep...
                    It started giving write errors, when I rebooted, SMART interviened saying that the drive was about to die on me, and that I should back up ASAP.

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Yes, i had the same experience as Tony. Some drives need to be jumpered CS to work in DMA mode...
                      Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

BTW, try what Az suggested first.
                        Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Sp1 is supposed to fix it. Cough Cough.
                          Try the latest motherboard drivers as well.
                          Try Microsoft drivers.
                          Try the above suggestions.
                          Check your cabling.
                          Check that it's enabled in the bios.
                          Look at tweekxp.com theres a registry hack somewhere ont here to fix it.
                          If all else fails re-install time.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                            Yep...
                            It started giving write errors, when I rebooted, SMART interviened saying that the drive was about to die on me, and that I should back up ASAP.

Jörg
                            SCSI playes in a whole different legue

Comment

I have similiar problem. Download some diagnostic tool from website of hdd manufacturer.
                              In my case those are some errors internally in the drive, and it appears the whole thing "falls back" to slowest mode to protect data...
                              OTOH maxtor diagnostic tool certified drive as fully functional BUT with some errors that it can try to recover and it described this process as risky to data.
                              So currently I'm moving everything to cdr's with borrowed cdr drive...

btw, one of the s.m.a.r.t. things is in red area in my drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X