G400DH 16MB vs 32 MB Info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400DH 16MB vs 32 MB Info needed

I am a happy camper using an ageing G400DH with 16 Meg memory. Recent upgrade from 1024x768 CRT to a flat TFT screen using a resolution of 1280x1024 on primary display forces me to back down to 16 bit color if I want to have the DVD-max to operate properly.

My question is: Would a 32 meg board work with 32 bit color and DVD-max at this resolution, or is there other hardware limits that I am not aware of?

I hardly ever uses any 3D-mode, so will the 2D benefit of upgrading to a 32 meg card?

Would the new P650 do better?

Thanks
    /WD

The new P650 will definitely do better, both 2D and 3D wise. Its just 2 generations ahead. (DX 6 vs. DX 8)

Comment

Thanks for the answer!

Yes the P650 looks really temting, but it's not available right now.

Whilst killing some time (boss not around...) I fond a thread some 25 pages down addressing questions about 16 vs. 32 bit color and higher than 1024x768 pixel and DVD-max. It seems it is NOT a "out-of-memory" problem.... they still reported no video out using a 32 meg card.

I remember I have been able to get <i>some</i> videos to work now and then in 32 bit mode but after upgrading drivers/filters .... things are pretty stable, no DVD-max if above 16 bit color.

I'd better start saving for a P650 or 750

Later
      /WD

Comment

you need to lower the refresh till DVD-MAX works.

I could use DVD-MAX on my G400 at 1440x1080x32 @ a maximal refresh rate of 81 Hz.

With powerdesk you can change the refresh rate in 1 Hz steps...

Comment

Thanks for the information dZeus!

Something really strange going on, after killing some time at the computer yesterday, I went up to to 24 bit color just to check... whoa I still had DVD-max output! Feeling a bit light-headed I promtly went up to 32 bit and yes it was still there..

I had not changed anything just made a few re-boots and suddenly everything just started to work.

Ahh well not quite everything, all of a sudden all my Ulead video editing s/w crashes, my guesses are that it does not like the new filters that I put into the system to get proper play of non-25 frames/sec videos. I guess I can't have it all!! And yes my TV-card complains no overlay is possible.

My current set up: G400DH-16 primary display TFT 1280x1024@75Hz (analog), secondary CRT 1024x760 OR TV-out
          m/b KT7A 1200 MHz 512 MB

later
          /WD

Comment

Working...
          X