Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia FX-5900 reviews...

The FX-5900 reference board has been reviewed on some websites:

GPU reviews, news and features, created for the hardcore PC enthusiast by the experts at Tom's Hardware.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Final thought on Firingsquad:
    After an absence of over eight months, NVIDIA has finally returned to the high-end segment with the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra. In fact, they’re not only back in the game, NVIDIA’s 256MB GeForce FX 5900 Ultra is the fastest graphics accelerator on the market, albeit with slightly lesser image quality than ATI’s RADEON 9800 PRO.

Jörg
    pixar

Comment

Jeeze you think Nvidia would figure out how to fix its IQ problems by know
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

This is a good one:
        TT-hardware.com : Guide d'information sur le hardware Depuis 1997. Découvrez toute l'actualité Informatique PC à travers notre expertise.

It concerns the different marketing strategies:
        Brian Burke, NVIDIA:
        "When we first designed this architecture, we designed it for Doom III"

Chris Evenden, ATI:
        "The Doom III comparisons are meaningless to make at this stage. We're feeling pretty good about the whole thing actually."

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

A review I read (I think it was Anandtech), noted the horrible 2D IQ they got from the 5900.
          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Just see what Gainward can do....

Comment

Not much. A lot of the IQ seems to be intentional degrading via drivers, to make the card benchmark faster.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                Not much. A lot of the IQ seems to be intentional degrading via drivers, to make the card benchmark faster.
                You mean Nvidea may have another lemon on their hands.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I took it they were talking about signal quality.
                  The only problem we encountered with our GeForceFX 5900 Ultra board was that the analog video output was incredibly blurry. For a $499 card we would expect better, and we can only hope that shipping cards won't have the horrible output we noted on our reference board.
                  Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

None of the other reviewers commented on this but most still concentrate on FPS.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Its a good sign for nvidia....but the fastest card I can by today is still ATI and will be for months..

Designing a card for one game is pretty Lame tho, especialy when it runs at "slighly lower" image quality..you can really see where there priorities lie.

I am still wondering what a die shrunk 9800 pro would do...ATI has got the 9600 pumping already, whats next

Comment

Oh, but Doom 3 will be the most important game ever released!

Comment

LOL @ Jon. Everybody is like Doom 3, Doom 3 Ultra, Doom 3 FX... LOL

But if it is possible to mod a GeForce FX 5200 into a Quadro FX 500... I may just pick up one...

Of course, only concern I have is 2D. I may as well grab a BBA 9500 PRO... or wait for Pitou ()

Comment

<rant>
                            eh just read some bizarre review over at tomshardware...thats it I have blocked that URL in case I am ever tempted to use it again.

Look at the benchmarks for nv5900 and 9800 etc.
                            Why do they keep changing platforms, one is done with the a p4 on rdram system, the bext is done on a midrange amd system.
                            you either do all your benchs on the one system or you do all for both systems....This smells of selective benchmark loading.

And to cap it of the amd 3200+ review
                            AMD recomend changing a dll in sys mark, as I remeber that is simply to enable sse, but they refuse..okay so disable sse on the p4 as well!!!

Also AMD recomends turning of apic, they refuse. I did not know about that one but I am certainly going to try it on my system at home if AMD recomend it for performance...some of this is boarding on fraud FFS

They will use a p4 sse optimsed xmpeg stuff at a drop of a hat but will not change a bios setting or enable a feature for an AMD cpu?

</rant>

Comment

"When we first designed this architecture, we designed it for Doom III"
                              what happened to the good old "designed for direct3d and opengl" ?

whats next? "we designed this architecture for popular benchmarks"
                              This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X