Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funny link (Internet Explorer only though)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny link (Internet Explorer only though)

Click [edit]link removed for your safety [/edit] if you have a CDROM in in a drive.
    Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 13 May 2003, 08:47.

What? It's just a JPEG file.

Comment

Did you have a CDROM in a drive?

Comment

Duh!
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Great! (not at you) ANother mishandling of Internet Explorer. How many days until this is exploited in some malicious way. Even though the file has a JPEG extension it acts like html.

Comment

It still did nothing, but then again I have everything patched.

Comment

I'll remove the link, didn't think about the negative aspects of it... I assumed it was just a stupid IE trick, like the one that makes it look like a site has a copy of the contents of your HD or something.

Comment

The link implements a flaw in Internet Explorer but it only does something humorous and fortunately not malicious. I think you need Media Player 7 for it to happen. Could you PM me the link? I wanna see something.
                Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 13 May 2003, 07:39.

Comment

PM sent. I've got MP9, Win98 SE, IE 6 with all the patches. Might not work if you have more than one CD/DVD drive though, or might only work with one drive.

Comment

Works with multiple drive Media Player Seven with all the patches. The bad points are:
                    • Internet Explorer allowing the user to be tricked as to what type a file is.
                    • Media Players 7 and 9 allowing a website to open your drive.

FOund it in my history. This was a problem in Outlook as well was it not?
                    Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 13 May 2003, 08:07.

Comment

Just tried it in OE, didn't seem to do it then.

Comment

I meant that in Outlook 2000 something similar happened with filetypes being misrepresented. I think that was patched.

Irfanview will see a file that appears to be one type and check it. It will then ask for confirmation to open the file if it is different. I.E. would easilly be able to do the same or deny the file if it was not what it appeared to be according to user preferences.

Comment

LOL, you can copy the vbscript that it's using and post it with a [ code ] thingy and it'll work here too.

It seems Outlook Express won't run the vbscript, so at least it's not a problem there.
                          Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 13 May 2003, 08:32.

Comment

Well done Jon. Whatever you done you crash IE when you open this thread. I'm now using opera to view it.
                            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Deleted it, sorry about that Pit!

Comment

Working...
                              X