Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new DVD Burner Comes Today!

Huzzah! Huzzah!

It's a Plextor 504, IDE of course since nobody makes decent SCSI stuff any more - and hence the SCSI card is sitting in a drawer...

4x +R/+RW, with Plextor's legendary Plextools for extraction at full speed. Boo-yah! No more "your DVD burner can only extract at 2x". 'Course the Lite-on DVD drive can handle that too.

Hmm, what shall I burn first? Methinks... the Animatrix. It's not out yet, and I've been dying to watch it all.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Didn't you mention the imminent release of the NEC ND-1300A previously?

Comment

yum yum. How much did that set you back?
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Oh you luck luck dog you!! I'm very envious to say the least...how much did that set you back?? I read a great review on that one too, I seem to remember abou $435 as the cost??

~Sethos
        "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Sethos:

Nah, it's about $300 in retail stores. I picked it up for around $225, which isn't bad all things considered. It, plus a Liteon 16x reader, plus shipping/handling/insurance (I always order overnight or two-day) ran me... $279? I think? Not bad. I could have had it OEM for like $179, but I'll pay extra to get PlexTools and the full Plextor warranty, thank you.

As for why I didn't wait for the 1300A... well, I have NO idea when it will be available, and multi-mode drives may or may not allow some of the things that +R does, like after-the-fact DVD edits that play seamlessly on regular players... so I decided on +R for now, and if -R overtakes +R, I can pick up a -R burner CHEAP later on (they're $175 RETAIL now).

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I hate US prices
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
              I hate US prices
              Tell me about it
              Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Well, the dollar is falling compared to our swedish crowns, so I'm liking the US prices more and more
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Awesome deal, let us know how it works out for you!!

I hate US prices
                  (tune from fiddler on the roof "tradation" song)

RECESSION!!

(same movie "rich man song")

"If I were a rich man ah yib ah diba dible dooble dum"

^ Not likely pal... ^

~Sethos
                  "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

If I were a rich man, I'd buy a supercharger for my 4Runner

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                      Sethos:

Nah, it's about $300 in retail stores. I picked it up for around $225, which isn't bad all things considered. It, plus a Liteon 16x reader, plus shipping/handling/insurance (I always order overnight or two-day) ran me... $279? I think? Not bad. I could have had it OEM for like $179, but I'll pay extra to get PlexTools and the full Plextor warranty, thank you.

As for why I didn't wait for the 1300A... well, I have NO idea when it will be available, and multi-mode drives may or may not allow some of the things that +R does, like after-the-fact DVD edits that play seamlessly on regular players... so I decided on +R for now, and if -R overtakes +R, I can pick up a -R burner CHEAP later on (they're $175 RETAIL now).

- Gurm
                      It's available now. About the same price.

Comment

Yeah, and the word is that the BIOS may be swappable into an 1100A (or the Plextor 504A).

- Gurm

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                          Yeah, and the word is that the BIOS may be swappable into an 1100A (or the Plextor 504A).

- Gurm
                          Better one now than 2 tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                          X