Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Legacy support for Marvel and RRG Matters to you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Legacy support for Marvel and RRG Matters to you...

Well, guys, here are the developments regarding Matrox's new direction with the Marvel eTV...
    http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/000213.html

In short, as things now stand, Matrox will NOT make their new Ligos/Ulead software encoding/editing package available for purchase, other than as a bundle with the eTV. Even though many current Marvel RRG owners might have the processing power to make use of this new package, it will for now only be available as a bundle with the Marvel eTV.

What does this mean? Depends on your point of view, I suppose, but I can tell from the tone of Haig's reply that Tech Supp isn't too happy about this decision. Neither am I.

If you care about this at all, I invite you to post in on the thread linked above to let Matrox Product developers know how you feel on this issue. I think that if enough customers let them know how they feel, they may listen.

We can only hope.

A VERY disturbing trend from my favorite hardware company.
    Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
    CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
    Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

I'd rather have working Windows 2000 drivers and video tools before worrying about this.

--wally.

Comment

I'm going to chime my $0.02 in when the Matrox forums reopen.

To MURCers: This is a decision that will affect you and your future purchases for a long time to come. An ugly trend has begun, and we must express out opinion to the powers that be. Whether you own a Millenium II or G400, your voice needs to be heard on this issue.

Take some time and express your opinion on the thread mentioned above.

EDIT: wkulecz: You'll have the Vidtools and drivers in time. Since the announchement of the eTV, the delay makes more sense now (although still frustrating).

[This message has been edited by Axatax (edited 30 September 2000).]

Comment

I fail to see how the G450 eTV marvel has anything to do with the inability to supply working w2k drivers for G200 and G400 Marvel owners.

Unless someone at Matrox thinks PO'ing existing customers while trying to sucker^H^H^H^H^H^H bring in new ones is a viable long term strategy.

Comment

It has a clear link, and that is the drivers are the same for both cards. Given this, probably the delay in releasing W2K drivers for Marvel G200/400 is due to the fact that some functionality has to be disabled/hidden in a hack-proof manner before the driver for G450/400/200 will be release to the public.

I totally agree with the previous posts. I see this ugly trend has caught up with more and more companies, and unfortunately there is little we can do. Greed is the word of the day, No matter how much they get is never enough. I hope they choke on the pile of dollars.

Comment

The drivers can't be the same for both cards unless the hardware is exactly the same for both cards.

I'm sure there is lots in common, but having four or five different hardware designs in one "driver" has never seemed like a good idea to me. Its the "minor" differnces that lead to bugs and a combinatorial explosion in testing.

--wally.

Comment

I would remind you all that when we get new drivers they often support multiple generations of hardware. Frequently the difference of what gets installed is the presence or absense of a given hardware or driver feature.

Example: panel displays, TV-Out, dualhead, G200 vs. G400, MJPEG circuitry etc. etc.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 02 October 2000).]

Comment

Working...
              X