Morgan codec problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morgan codec problems

I have a Marvel G200 on one PCthat works great for TV recording, but the PC is to slow for editing. So I purchased Morgan 3.0 codec and installed it on the Marvel box, as well as the editing box. This allows me to work with the file on the editing box but when I play back the recorded avi file, or try to edit file, or re-encode with Ulead VideoStudio 7, I have a broken like at the top of the screen..here is a snapshot

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

On the Marvel box it plays perfectly...it is just when I play it on the edit box. What is causing this, and what can I do to get rid of it.

thanks.

a) your link doesn't work

b) In the days when I used Marvel, long since gone, I tried several softcodecs. Morgan was, by far and away, the worst, with all sorts of problems, which rendered it unusable for me. It was a waste of money. I then tried PICVideo and it worked perfectly on several 'puters. I recommend this course.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I have used picvideo with no problems with matrox mjpeg codec.
      you can d/l a trial version to make sure it works before you buy, and the price is very reasonable.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brian Ellis
        [B]a) your link doesn't work

Actually it does work, but it seems that geocities has put even greater restrictions on their free web space. They probably don't want people to use the web site to post digital photos since they sell special photo sites.

f you go to
        Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

and then type in line.jpg it will work. But I have put the picture in a html document so this link should work

thanks for the replies, apparently I bought the wrong codec, but I would like to get it to work for this simple purpose

Comment

OK, I've got it now. This is not codec related. It is a feature of Marvel and is absolutely benign. What you are seeing is a part of the vertical overscan. In PAL, there are 625 lines and in NTSC 525 lines, but Marvel has an image size of 704 x 576 and 480 respectively. The difference (625-576 or 525-480) are the lines used for vertical synch, setting black level and, sometimes, information such as teletext. What you are seeing are some of these lines. When viewed on a TV, these are always hidden, but not on a computer, which has no overscan hiding.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

What you are seeing are some of these lines. When viewed on a TV, these are always hidden, but not on a computer, which has no overscan hiding. [/B][/QUOTE]

So if I create a VCD and play back on a TV this will disappear?
            But I can't get rid of it for computer playback? Have I understood this correctly?
            thanks

Comment

Yes - If you simply capture and create a VCD/SVCD or DVD without using transition effects containing components like framerotation or shrinking you should in theory not have a problem.

PS - computer monitors have overscan as well - it just that the amount of overscan is user controllable, and we generally choose to adjust the monitor controls so that we fill the complete screen with a full frame.
              Last edited by LvR; 13 May 2003, 13:02.
              Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by LvR
                [effects containing components like framerotation or shrinking[/b] you should in theory not have a problem.

PS - computer monitors have ovescan as well - it just that the amount of overscan is user controllable, and we generally choose to adjust the monitor controls so that we fill the complete screen with a full frame. [/B]
                The one thing I don't understand is why I don't see the line when playing back the recording, in media manger, on the source computer = the computer with the Marvel. Is the video card hardware making the translation?

After I record it with the Marvel...and then play it back using Media Manager it plays back normally without the line. This occurs even if I reboot into another operating system on the Marvel G200 computer.

Would it make any difference using the PCI Video codec... or will I have the same problem.
                So the only solution is to edit and re-encode using the computer with the Matrox 200 installed.

Comment

Just as a matter of interest Morse. When you edit in say Win2K with the Morgan codec and play back with your Matroax codec in Win9x does it play back correctly ?? ie no jitter or mosaics in titles and transistions??

I tried the PIC codec but could not get any video output from my RRS win98 parition..
                  paulw

Comment

Originally posted by morse
                    Would it make any difference using the PCI Video codec... or will I have the same problem.
                    Download PICVideoMJPEG Trial version, try and buy if you like it.
                    It's my favorite video codec (HQ, fast,...).

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by paulw
                      [B]Just as a matter of interest Morse. When you edit in say Win2K with the Morgan codec and play back with your Matroax codec in Win9x does it play back correctly ?? ie no jitter or mosaics in titles and transistions??QUOTE][i

other then the line on top, it plays back correctly

Comment

I have been using PicVideo for years now and I think it's great.

Morgan is not all that good I've always had problems with it and quite difficult to remove.

Regards,

Debbie
                        We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

Debbie,

You are using the PIC codec for editing in say Win2K and then playing back in a Win9x partition using the Matrox codec for play back??

If so I will download the PIC codec and have another try with it with my RRS unit..
                          paulw

Comment

paulw,

I am on WinXP, NTSF and Marvel G400-TV.

As far as I can remember switch between WinXP and Win98SE has'nt been a problem to play captured and edited clips using the PicVide codec.

However to be sure I shall run a clip captured on WinXP on my work computer running on Win98SE. and will let you know tomorow.

Regards,

Debbie

Comment

Further to the above. Yes clips captured with PicVideo play with no problems on both WinXP and Win98SE.

Debbie

Comment

Working...
                              X