Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XP SP2 will allow 2 simultaneous users ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP SP2 will allow 2 simultaneous users ?

According to this:

XP SP2 will allow one user on the computer, while another user works via a smart display. Any chance of the other user also being able to connect through an RDP client in stead of a smart display ?
    (as W2K server allows)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Yes saw that a few days ago.
    It would be cool if we could. Like, I have 2 monitors, 2 keyboards and 2 mice, it would be really cool if I can act like using 2 PCs simultaneously.
    But I reckon it would be probably for smart displays only.
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Umm... you can already do this, can't you? I mean, that's kind of the POINT of having multiple users logged in simultaneously...

Althought I think you're currently limited to a network login.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
        Umm... you can already do this, can't you? I mean, that's kind of the POINT of having multiple users logged in simultaneously...
        Nope, you can't... If a remote user connects, the system prompts the "console-user" if he/she allows his/her session to be halted. So while you can have multiple users logged in, they cannot interact at the same time (even if they are physically on different terminals).

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Would be great to be able to conect more than one monitor and havepeople working independent on them
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Can you say "Mainframe <-> Terminal"?
            I can already imagine a dual Xeon "home mainframe" :eeek:
            And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

blahh...you can do that in linux now...well kind of

Comment

alright... the way windows terminal services works... you have sessions (in which a user is logged on)... you can have a lot of them, possibly configurable depending on the OS... in Windows 2000 (and probably NT4 Terminal Services Edition) you had Console Sessions and Remote Sessions... you could only have one console session and could not resume the console connection from a remote connection... you could however resume remote sessions from the console...

XP and Windows Server 2003 changed that and made it so there is no difference between console and remote sessions... the only problem is that under XP only one session can be active at a time...

nowthen...

those smart displays (aka, "Mira" devices) are simply a Windows CE (I believe Windows CE .NET) device that establishes a connection to your pc using Terminal Services...

this is why they require XP Pro to work. XP Home does not support any usable form of Terminal Services... but this also means that the only way you can use the device is if no one is using the PC it is connected to...

they have been talking about improving this since they initially released the Smart Devices... it wouldn't suprise me if they upped the limit and allowed 2 simultanious connections... (or maybe just one console and one remote)... i would love it if you could connect remotely twice... hehe

would have worked great with the dual processor box i used to have...
                "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

there are some thirdparty software(hardware?) that enables you to run two users simultaneus on one computer
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

i remember seeing that... a long time ago... from what i recall it also caused a fair amount of unusual problems with the computer...
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Well, I'm not surpriced

Comment

This would be very awesome, hope they actually include it in there...

~Sethos
                        "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

X has had this since 20 years....
                          -Slougi

Comment

There was a product (PCI card + something) called buddy that allowed two users on same machine.

The price was in the range of decent 2nd hand 2-3 years old Office machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Slougi
                              X has had this since 20 years....
                              Not true.

You'll need to hack it.

Comment

Working...
                              X