PDA

View Full Version : D'oh! I think my CD-R just croaked.

leech
11th May 2003, 16:25
The last three disks that I've tried to burn (all the same thing, a compilation of files that I made myself for a backup) has died on me. And they get worse with each copy I try to make.

So I'm guessing my burner is dying on me. So anyone have any suggestions for a new one? Currently I have a Plextor 12/10/32S. That's right, a SCSI one, I would like to replace it with another SCSI one if I could. I have finally done away with all IDE devices, so I would rather not have to put anymore in my system.

Leech

K6-III
11th May 2003, 16:28
Well, your best bet will probably be with Yamaha.

az
11th May 2003, 16:36
Yamaha stopped making burners after the F1, AFAIK. There is a new Plextor Plexwriter Premium (IDE though, I think) that has some nice features, among them semi-professional CD quality testing (better than on any consumer drive yet), and the ability to burn up to 1 GB on a 700 MB CDR.

AZ

Dr Mordrid
11th May 2003, 16:53
Picked up a Memorex (rumored to be a Lite-On) 52/24/52 a while back at Best Buy when they mismarked a whold bin of 'em at $22. You should have seen the stampede :D :D

So far it's been a pretty good burner with near zip in the way of coasters using various blanks.

Dr. Mordrid

Jon P. Inghram
11th May 2003, 17:11
Any reason why you have an IDE phobia? ;)

leech
11th May 2003, 18:07
Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
Any reasonwhy you have an IDE phobia? ;)

'cause I've had nothing but problems with IDE burners. And it's much easier to set up a scsi burner inside linux than an IDE one.

I'm wondering if I just got a bad case of CD-R's, but they are TDK's and usually they're decent....

I checked out Plextor's site, and that P
lexwriter Premium does look pretty sweet, is that using that Samsung technology that was in that goofy cartoon that was posted on here recently? Maybe I'll email Plextor and see if they are planning on coming out with a SCSI version of that....

Leech

isochar
11th May 2003, 19:02
Just buy the Plextor 40x CD-RW SCSI drive then.

Jon P. Inghram
11th May 2003, 19:02
Stop using Linux, then you'll see the light and realize IDE is the only way to go. :D Did you clean the lens on it, if there isn't any reason not to do that on a burner?

Technoid
12th May 2003, 00:51
Originally posted by leech
' is that using that Samsung technology that was in that goofy cartoon that was posted on here recently?
Leech

It was Sanyo ;)

http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41677

William
12th May 2003, 05:22
Sanyo technology; and yes it is.

Taz
12th May 2003, 06:39
They're also the people who came up with BURN proof :)

K6-III
12th May 2003, 09:24
So why not get the Yamaha F1 SCSI???

Ribbit
12th May 2003, 11:34
Trouble is finding one :) Yamaha left the CD-RW business a few months ago, and I haven't seen internal F1s on sale for a while now. My choice would be the Plextor 40x burner, except that it's very pricey. Maybe they'll do a SCSI Premium...

Wombat
12th May 2003, 11:43
There isn't much reason for Plextor these days. Do Lite-On.

leech
12th May 2003, 16:57
I emailed plextor, and they did say that there isn't currently a Premium SCSI one, but that they were still supporting SCSI and that they may release one in the future.... a lot of good that did me....

Anyhow, I'm wondering now if it's just the files I'm trying to copy that is bad, 'cause I used it earlier to burn just an ISO and it worked without problems. So perhaps it's not quite time to upgrade it :D

And a big OOPS on my part. Sanyo, not Samsung. (hey, they both start with SA....) I think if I do upgrade, I'll just wait 'til they either release the SCSI Premium one, it's too bad that Yamaha bailed, I heard a lot of good reviews on their burners.

Do Lite-On's have a brand name? I thought mostly they just made the mechanism's in certain drives.

Leech

leech
12th May 2003, 16:59
Stop using Linux, then you'll see the light and realize IDE is the only way to go. :D Did you clean the lens on it, if there isn't any reason not to do that on a burner?

I turned on the light, saw windowsXP's Fisher Price look and shuddered :D

I haven't tried cleaning the lens, I know there are lens cleaner's out there....

A little off topic, but I tried over the weekend to make my WindowsXP look like a Mac OS X. But after playing with it, I realized that you simply can't polish a turd. :D

Leech

Jon P. Inghram
12th May 2003, 17:07
Yeah, don't get me started on Windows XP... I posted a rant about it a few minutes ago and then deleted it when I realized Gurm would just say Microsoft is the only way to go. ;)

K6-III
12th May 2003, 17:18
Originally posted by Ribbit
Trouble is finding one :) Yamaha left the CD-RW business a few months ago, and I haven't seen internal F1s on sale for a while now. My choice would be the Plextor 40x burner, except that it's very pricey. Maybe they'll do a SCSI Premium...

F1 SCSI going for $200 on pricewatch. Also works on IDE.

az
12th May 2003, 17:28
The F1 is a good burner, sad to see it's their latest.

AZ

leech
12th May 2003, 18:57
Yeah, don't get me started on Windows XP... I posted a rant about it a few minutes ago and then deleted it when I realized Gurm would just say Microsoft is the only way to go. ;)

But of course, isn't Gurm also the one who just hates Mozilla? Can we say 5 lines of code, anyone? :D

Now back on topic.... I just successfully burned Morphix (http://morphix.sourceforge.net), so perhaps it's not quite time for an upgrade.....

Leech

MetalCartman
13th May 2003, 06:31
@leech: I still have my Plexwriter 121032 SCSI. It died 3 months after the warranty period, then i wrote a friendly mail to Plextor's techsupport and asked for repair/exchange as a gesture of good will. A guy wrote back they'd "gladly exchange the defective drive with a refurbished one", I just had to fill out the RMA form. They (actually it was a guy from DHL) picked the old one up at my home on a thursday afternoon, the next monday morning I received the refurbished one, which ist still running nicely.

So, just try and ask them, at least their european service center is very good.

Good luck!
Cartman

Ribbit
13th May 2003, 08:43
Where I am, Lite-ons are sold as Lite-ons.

leech
13th May 2003, 16:03
Well, so far it's working, burned two different ISO's and no problems. I'm going to blame the problems on the actual files I was trying to burn earlier, for linux and windows didn't like them. Though at first I was wondering if it was just because I always have a billion other things I'm doing and Nero just puked 'cause windows is a piece of... well anyhow, it seems to be working and I'll have to give it a try again sometime soon.

Leech